Question 3DS circle pad on DS Lite?

Plaidx

Portables
I'm planning on making what is called a Gameboy Macro, if you dont know what it is, its basically a DS lite fixated to work only as a GBA. What I want to do is somehow replace the D Pad with a circle pad. I havent found any information about this online but seeing how most of the people on here, have implemented the circle pad into their portables I thought someone might have an idea?

Gameboy Macro:

DS mobo:

Circle pad:

JacksonS

Portables
The best way would probably be to use a small PIC microcontroller. You could take the two analog inputs from the joystick, do some simple if-else statements to determine if the joystick is pushed far enough, and output the 4 d-pad signals on 4 separate pins.

Plaidx

Portables
The best way would probably be to use a small PIC microcontroller. You could take the two analog inputs from the joystick, do some simple if-else statements to determine if the joystick is pushed far enough, and output the 4 d-pad signals on 4 separate pins.
I've worked with PIC microcontrollers before but only the 16f models and I usually just copy hex files I find online and upload them using a JDM programmer. Also I am not the best a programming so what would be a good program to use? I do have a PIC12F629 laying around that I was planning to use to mod a PlayStation 1, would that work?.

JacksonS

Portables
I've worked with PIC microcontrollers before but only the 16f models and I usually just copy hex files I find online and upload them using a JDM programmer. Also I am not the best a programming so what would be a good program to use? I do have a PIC12F629 laying around that I was planning to use to mod a PlayStation 1, would that work?.
You could use MPLAB X IDE to write code, compile it, and get the .hex file. Then you could program how you normally do with your programmer. A PIC12F629 would not work because you need 2 analog inputs and 4 digital outputs; the best you could do with the PIC12F629 is 2 analog inputs and 3 digital outputs (The MCLR pin can't be an output or an analog input). Anything with more than 8 pins should work. I have used the PIC16F1503 many times and it's great.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables