Worklog The Smash-box Odyssey: Davuld86's First Wiip

Portables
sin(π)
Hey all, long time lurker here. I've been on this site long enough to see a bunch of work logs, read almost every guide, and even post a few memes.:D After all of this, I now think I'm ready to start making my Wii portable and have a work log of the wild ride that is going to be my build process. Hopefully, I'll be able to finish and have that under my name without having to update after 5+ years.:P

Now, on to the name, what does it mean? It doesn't mean much, I just really like Smash that's all, and essentially, this would be the box that I use mainly for Smash. I will play other Wii games of course, but I'm going to make this one smash themed. The word, "Odyssey" was just supposed to mean this as the second portable that I make, (no relation to the switch game coming out, and actually, I thought of this name before it was revealed,) back when I wanted to build a Gamecube Portable. However, thanks to Shank, I found out that the Wii was the way to go because it's much better, and so I scrapped my GcP plans (RIP Sb Illiad) and started solely on my Wii Smash-box under the same name. This way I can have all the (pre-Wiiu) smashes on the go while also having the ultimate retro machine!

Ok, nice background. So, what have I done so far? Well, I've been practicing how to solder, planning what I want from my portable and how I'm going to do it, and taking notes from the various work logs and guides that I've seen. I've practiced in Inventor so that I can 3d print my case, once everything's all connected and working properly that is. I've also bought all of the tools and parts that I need for my Wiip. So right now I'm waiting for those to come in which shouldn't be too long.

Here's a list of what I bought as of now:
  • Wii- ofc
  • Gc+- thanks for the Piizza
  • These 18650s- they were from the same seller as the ones from the BOM so I figured I'd give it a shot
  • 5'' screen from the BOM
  • This audio amp to be used in tandem with these speakers ( the BOM ones were out of stock)
  • Some Ir led's, tact switches, sliding switches, perf-board, and a bunch of other general stuff

What have I done pertaining to my Wii? Well, as of now I have done almost nothing. I tried to do the Bluetooth relocation, but I ended up ruining the test pads so that was fun. Because I still had solid contact on pins 10 and 11 on my module, while I waited for my new module to come in I decided to do the hardest part of the relocating process and solder to the two data traces, and holy hell, it was hard! I spent nearly two hours trying to do that, eventually, I got it done, and now I wait for my new one to come in.

Oh, I almost forgot. Features!
In my portable, I want to make a Wii portable. Now before you say "well duh you noob", I mean is that I want to have as many Wii functions and game compatibility as possible so that I can truly call this a Wii. That means doing relocations such as the MX (for Animal Crossing), maybe wifi (if I can pull it off), and the SD card. I also want to steal some ideas from some other work logs as long as they don't mind that is. I also have a general Idea of what I want my portable to look like but it's not set in stone just yet.

That's it for now, the next update probably won't come soon but wish me luck:)

Edit: no wifi, it's too unnecessary, and there's no real reason to have it now that I think about it.

Last edited:
Honestly, Melee on the go is reason alone for making a portable wii. Good luck on your project! Post more updates please!

With PortabalizeMii, the sd card is sort of irrelevant. The only thing needed to run is the usb. That is how the software is set up. Good luck on your project!!! Cant wait to get updates on your progress!!

Acronell

Aquafam
Capital District, New York, United States
If you keep the MX Chip you can play 3 generations of Smash my friend, not just Melee!

Honestly, Melee on the go is reason alone for making a portable wii. Good luck on your project! Post more updates please!
ALL THE SMASH!!

Melee isn't a game. It's a way of life
@Shank MELEE IS LIFE!

Portables
sin(π)
Alright, I just got my bluetooth module and I want to answer your burning questions.
I'm also working on a portable for the main purpose of smash. I don't know if the SD card and wifi would be necessary, but what is your plans for controller ports and video out (if you're doing so)?
So my plan for wifi was simply, "why not" But now that I think about it, I might not have Wifi. My plan for the controllers was to have one controller port and if I needed two or more people, We would just use the USB adapter, since it can work on Nintendont. As for Project M and Brawl multiplayer, I don't know.
With PortabalizeMii, the sd card is sort of irrelevant. The only thing needed to run is the USB. That is how the software is set up. Good luck on your project!!! Can't wait to get updates on your progress!!
I think that certain homebrew applications run only on the SD card, so that's why I'm planning to have my SD card. But if PortabalizeMii uses the USB to mimic the Sd card then I won't, because then I would really not need it.
Melee isn't a game. It's a way of life
This

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
So my plan for wifi was simply, "why not"
The reason why I'd advise against trying the Wi-Fi module is that it's just another thing that makes it hard to diagnose an issue if you have one. There's already a lot of things which can cause issues and adding the Wi-Fi module is not an easy feat with how finicky it can be. If it's not working properly your Wii won't boot btw :P

Portables
sin(π)
The reason why I'd advise against trying the Wi-Fi module is that it's just another thing that makes it hard to diagnose an issue if you have one. There's already a lot of things which can cause issues and adding the Wi-Fi module is not an easy feat with how finicky it can be. If it's not working properly your Wii won't boot btw :P
Well yeah, i know that, but Now that I think about it , this is a portable, and if you're playing some wii games on the bus, there really wont be much wifi, will there. So I'm not going to give myself that hassle.