5 inch Component Screens Exist!

Shank

Staff member
Portables
You can't just tease us like this. Can you explain? This could be a game changer.

Portables
sin(π)
link pls. I would LOVE to use this in mine. Great job finding this tho.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Product part IDs, links to products, clear single shot video demonstrating product's function, and Super Mario Sunshine played with one hand, or it didn't happen.

Last edited:

Hey guys. Sorry for the late response. I was in a middle of a move and was unable to respond. Yes it is a 5 inch component screen (YPbPr). I paid $45 dollars for the screen which is only 5 dollars more than the VGA screens used widely here. I didnt like the idea of having to buy GCVideo just to use VGA and contacted foreign suppliers willing to provide bulk purchase of component screens. The only problem is foreign suppliers dont seem to understand exactly what component video is due to the language barrier. Finally I was able to get these display boards custom made to accept component video. I cannot provide a link or model number because this was a special order sample product. If there is any interest I can look into having a bulk run available. I figured that I would let people know these do exist and can be made available as an alternative to wiring up GCVideo and using a VGA monitor which would only add more cost and many more wires.

That's pretty cool! :) I wonder if there's anyway they could produce a smaller board. With how big the board is, your case would almost have to be big enough that it would fit a 7" screen anyway. Maybe it just looks big in the picture though! Even with the big board, I'd be really interested. That's awesome!

Do you know where one can buy that physical board programmed for VGA? You could just transfer the firmware on the EEPROM from your board.
Yeah if we could get boards capable of this and flash them we could probably get them for even cheaper. I would for sure be interested in something like this.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Yeah if we could get boards capable of this and flash them we could probably get them for even cheaper. I would for sure be interested in something like this.
I'll throw money at this if we can find the boards.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Do you know where one can buy that physical board programmed for VGA? You could just transfer the firmware on the EEPROM from your board.
This. Jackson has discussed copying flashing firmware to these chips, and has been able to successfully do so. Be it this board or one just like it, you need to get one of these boards to jackson so we can flash this firmware to other 5" drive boards that use the same screen and chips, but stock firmware. If you could request custom drive boards for other screen sizes, we can duplicate the firmware for those as well: all we need is 1, and we can make as many as we want from smaller, existing boards. I am more than willing to pitch in money towards this cause to make it happen.

For people who are interested, I can put in a "large" order of around 10-20 units. If interest doesn't get to this level, I will not be able to order these screens due to a minimum order quantity. Price is not set in stone but will be around $45-55 USD depending how much the supplier charges me on shipping.

JacksonS

Portables
So... do you want to dump the firmware or not? And provide a link or a part number for the original board? I can't find it anywhere. I think it would be good to at least try the route of reprogramming boards that have stock firmware.

You haven't show any gameplay or anything else aside from a black and white screen. Show some gameplay footage or pictures of a game running on the screen.
Sure I am working on that and will be posting soon, but my stuff is still in boxes. I'm just gauging interest now and not taking any sort of payment. But really cameras don't show the crispness of progressive video on 5 inch screens. The "Progressive Scan has been enabled" does prove that 480p does work on the display. But video of 480p melee is coming soon...