Discussion Batteries

Yes, you can run sets of 3.7v cells in series to create a 7.4v pack. As for the charger, option 1 will give you a standard 5.5 x 2.1mm DC barrel plug. The receptacles for these are cheap and easy to find on ebay, digikey or Radioshack.
Cool thanks. I thought so but figured I'd check with you guys haha. I'll just go with whatever is cheaper since I don't really care much about the barrel plug anyways.

Am I correct in thinking I could get something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XQRQR3Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_1UABzbQDFDFQK

Then as long as I’m feeding 5V into it vía a micro usb cable it should be able to charge and protect y batteries? I am getting the 4 Panasonic’s mentioned in the BOM, so I’m assuming I’d also want to wire them inline in pairs of two then in a series to get the higher voltage?

Am I way off here or on the right track?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Am I correct in thinking I could get something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XQRQR3Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_1UABzbQDFDFQK

Then as long as I’m feeding 5V into it vía a micro usb cable it should be able to charge and protect y batteries? I am getting the 4 Panasonic’s mentioned in the BOM, so I’m assuming I’d also want to wire them inline in pairs of two then in a series to get the higher voltage?

Am I way off here or on the right track?
You can't use those to charge 2S (7.4V) battery packs

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
People have used those in the past, there's nothing inherently wrong with them, but depending on your case or other restraints, the 18650 batteries may be more suitable than the flat cells.

Portables
sin(π)
I've seen a lot of people use 4 batteries in their portables, is this how they're setting it up and if so, what is the recommended PCM for this kind of setup?
Series and Parallel.png

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Umm... Would you mind posting the PCB you want to use?

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
I've seen a lot of people use 4 batteries in their portables, is this how they're setting it up and if so, what is the recommended PCM for this kind of setup?
View attachment 3737
That is the general setup of batteries, yes. The recommended PCM is located in the BOM. In fact, ALL of the recommended items from screens to batteries to buttons are located there. So if you are curious what people recommend go look there first.

Portables
sin(π)
Umm... Would you mind posting the PCB you want to use?
Really just the one in the BOM because I don't want to take any risks, I was really just wondering whether or not that setup would make those batteries explode or not thanks and sorry I wasn't clear on that.

That is the general setup of batteries, yes. The recommended PCM is located in the BOM. In fact, ALL of the recommended items from screens to batteries to buttons are located there. So if you are curious what people recommend go look there first.
Thanks, I didn't know if the one in the BOM would work with that kind of set up.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
View attachment 3737
There should be a BM terminal on the PCB if it's a 7.4v one.

What’s a good recommended way to make a battery status/level indicator? Or even just a low battery indicator?

GC64

Portables
Sorry for the double post.

I set up the circuit mentioned by @GC64 and have been messing with it to figure out what resistance and voltage to set the light to come on via the pot.

What’s a good voltage to trigger the low battery light? I saw each cell can go down to 3V safely, but unsure when the pcb (from the BOM) will stop discharging them and really at what rate it’ll decrease from a normal trimmed wii. I know I’ll have to do my own testing and verification to get it rally specific, but is there any typical voltage most will set it to to indicate a lower battery, like roughly 40 minutes of play time left?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Sorry for the double post.

I set up the circuit mentioned by @GC64 and have been messing with it to figure out what resistance and voltage to set the light to come on via the pot.

What’s a good voltage to trigger the low battery light? I saw each cell can go down to 3V safely, but unsure when the pcb (from the BOM) will stop discharging them and really at what rate it’ll decrease from a normal trimmed wii. I know I’ll have to do my own testing and verification to get it rally specific, but is there any typical voltage most will set it to to indicate a lower battery, like roughly 40 minutes of play time left?
@Gman has this down to a science.