The Wiiboy rev2

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
The heatsink/fan setup is experimental. I'm planning to do a full writeup on heatsinking the Wii in the future. I have a backlog of stuff I'm probably gonna tackle all at once, and that's on it.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Hey mate, what kind of heat sink/fan setup is that? And are there details about play and charge through the same jack somewhere?
Technically it's play OR charge. It uses a 3PST switch for using one jack so you can plug in either an AC adapter or the smart charger depending on what position the switch is in. It's a simple and effective diagram but you need to be very aware about the position of the switch, you don't want to plug in the AC adapter when it is connected to the batteries...

It's designed by Ashen so there's is that http://modretro.com/xen/index.php?threads/alternate-portable-power-wiring.9441/

Technically it's play OR charge. It uses a 3PST switch for using one jack so you can plug in either an AC adapter or the smart charger depending on what position the switch is in. It's a simple and effective diagram but you need to be very aware about the position of the switch, you don't want to plug in the AC adapter when it is connected to the batteries...

It's designed by Ashen so there's is that http://modretro.com/xen/index.php?threads/alternate-portable-power-wiring.9441/
When charging does the switch lay in the middle? Up for battery use and down for charging?

yea that's what i meant, don't know how i added charging twice. lol

pengy

Ah I see. I thought you meant play and charge through the same jack at the same time, which would of course have been a feat for us lol. I think I would rather use two small jacks so you can do both at once. Still cool though and obviously an epic portable.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Ah I see. I thought you meant play and charge through the same jack at the same time, which would of course have been a feat for us lol.
Soon... ;)

pengy

The easiest way to do it would be to find the right pcb. A few years ago I used a portable DVD player battery pack. The charging circuitry was built into the pcb so the power adapter was actually just a fixed 2.5a power supply. The pcb allowed the device to keep running and used the rest of the current to charge. I'm not sure if there are any custom PCBs capable of this though

pengy

New question.. Is there a guide for this 2transistor version of a low battery circuit? IIRC daftmikes old schematic used 5.

Portables
What size magnet wire did you use on this project? It looks pretty handy to keep things nice and tidy while wiring everything up.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
What size magnet wire did you use on this project? It looks pretty handy to keep things nice and tidy while wiring everything up.
I'm not sure exactly, I got it from Radioshack. I want to say it is around 30awg. Magnet wire is a must have for Wii trimming even if you aren't doing an LMAO. I use it for the bluetooth module relocation always now.

JoJo

Gman this truly is some amazing work. Just seeing how stupid small things can get with the LMAO trim and a ton of hardwork truly inspires me! Keep conjuring whatever magic you do bro. Seriously tho, the mans a wizard... just sayin

Photobucket images seem to have been replaced by ads... Sorry for the bump but I genuinely wanted te re-read this worklog. Just letting you know.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Photobucket images seem to have been replaced by ads... Sorry for the bump but I genuinely wanted te re-read this worklog. Just letting you know.
thanks for letting me know. When I have the time, I will upload the photos to BB and reconstruct this thread. Sorry about the confusion guys!

Noah

retired
Portables
thanks for letting me know. When I have the time, I will upload the photos to BB and reconstruct this thread. Sorry about the confusion guys!
If we want, I can probably introduce an imgur-esque portion of the site so that uploading images here is less tedious.