Worklog My first GCp

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
i have no idea of max rating, but i was thinking about to use 2 lines for each voltage and 1 for ground.

th e cable says awm 20624 80c 60v vw-1 -f- 60v is the max voltage that it can handle without break?
No, that's definitely not enough. Whatever flows in each voltage line will also flow in the ground one. So if 2A flows in the 1.9V line and 1A flows in the 3.3V line, then 3A will flow in the ground line (the numbers are completely random).

No, that's definitely not enough. Whatever flows in each voltage line will also flow in the ground one. So if 2A flows in the 1.9V line and 1A flows in the 3.3V line, then 3A will flow in the ground line (the numbers are completely random).
so, i can use 2 lines per voltage and also use a bigger separated gnd cable? it will support all charge?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
so, i can use 2 lines per voltage and also use a bigger separated gnd cable? it will support all charge?
I’m not sure if two lines of that cable are enough for the currents drawn by the gamecube

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
In my experience, 22AWG wire isn't thick enough to carry the amount of current the GC uses without getting very hot. That FFC has no chance at all. Use proper wire, or you'll risk a short or fire.

I wired the regulators with 20awg wire. Each regulator output send the correct voltage but When I connect the ptr08100 reg (1.9v) to the 2 points of the console the voltage is divided in half and there is no boot. what can be wrong?.

aw4f56e5w2.jpg

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Did the board work before? If not, check for shorts and sand the heck out of the sides. If so, double check that the ptr works with some other high current load. Also make sure the input isn't sagging when you connect the regs, that could mean you are pulling too much power from your power source

Did the board work before? If not, check for shorts and sand the heck out of the sides. If so, double check that the ptr works with some other high current load. Also make sure the input isn't sagging when you connect the regs, that could mean you are pulling too much power from your power source
Thanks cheese.
I forgot check the board with the original regulator hehehe.
As soon as arrive to my house Will check it.

Before all. Yeah yeah I know... the wii portable is easier, cheaper, more battery life, etc. but it's my first project and I'd love to finish it.

I'm sorry for revive this old trash post but i have some news...
Now that i have a little more time, knowledge, tools and money to spend I'll continue this project. I get stuck trying to make it work only with batteries without any luck until today. :XD:
After watching my steps back i found a lot of issues and problems so this is what i found:

• I tried to make a multitap for multiplayer support. when i started the project i thought to make it thin and simple so this has no sense (now only will be a single-player device).
  • Now I HATE 80pin IDE cables to make general connections so slowly i'll make a couple of flex cables to make it more secure, smaller and modular (that one also is a "priority" for me when i started the portable.)
  • As I don't like PTH and PTR regs (I think they're bulky for my purpose) I'll make my own custom reg using the WII BMS created here and a some modifications extra of my part (custom PCB to fit into the console).
  • Currently I'm using 2 single-channel 5v audio amps. It's ok but i think i can do it better ( 1 stereo 5v audio amp to lower power consumption a little)
  • I don't like how cables are connected to power rails to power the GC on so i thinking to make a little pcb to handle that.
  • i'll try to make a custom flex board to connect the memory card on cpu vias directly (no more problems of broken wires and modular again)
  • other things that I don't remember right now :awesome:

I redo most of my solder connections and removed the integrated audio amp to have more room for other things.

Sorry for the crap audio and Spanish language.

Regards to everyone
Panchuflenks

I little update.

testing the portable running on batteries I got 1:45 hours of gameplay (running twilight princess) . The display turns off 5 minutes before the console.
It isn't a lot of time, but i think its good enough for a chinese li-po battery pack (model: PGF3766C5AT)

Portables
Wii Laptop V2.0, GameCube SPITE
Very nice! I love the GC, I made a GCP as well, so don't worry about the haters haha I only got about 40 mins of battery life out of my crappy battery pack, so 1hr 45min isn't bad at all. My thought process is most of the time when you are going to be somewhere more than 2 hours you'll have access to an outlet to charge anyway.

Hi everyone.

I'm messing up with kicad making my the "little" custom daugtherboard. turns out it's way bigger!.
after woke up in the middle of the night a couple days ago, I realized a couple of things..

1. As I trying to fit the gcp on a 3ds xl shell and making the cleanest possible, i though "well, lets use the 3ds xl board to make the daugtherboard". so, the result i'ts something like this.
1599005950926.png
1599005983227.png
1599006012968.png

the cuts are designed to avoid most of big components on the gc mobo, megadrive v6 and another 3ds stick for C analog​
It's a veeeery early design cause i need to make the holes fit more precisely but it's a beginning.​
This board might be capable of handle power regulators, usb-c charging, controllers, audio and wasp fusion. (I only have, at moment, the custom regs schematic)​

• I need to think in a solution for cooling. i pretended to use a 5v netbook fan but it died a time ago. now as nintendo switch came out, can i use the heatpipe(maybe) and fan BUT (always are a but present) i dont how to drive it (pwm maybe?) if it so, maybe use a microcontroller to handle this type pf things.
any suggestion (not change to a wii portable please), comment tip is well received
adiosin!

I don´t want to alarm u guys but maybe a panchuflenks, a panchuflenks in tha haus!
simpsons-homer.gif

well.. i never left tbh. just suspended the project due a lot of things that i lived in the last time.
lemme resume a little bit:
-"covin" (ofc)
- I moved to a new apartment (500km - 300 miles away for my American friends)
- I got thyroid cancer (still on this shit cause was stage 2) 1 month in the hospital with ICU included
- I got my gallbladder removed due stones on that crap (this last 2 things were in less than a year) (yeah... that's my luck)

now that i have a little more of time (got fired recently), i can continue my precious.
sadly, i have a a limited knowledge of electronics and pcb design but I'm still learning (baby steps). Now i want to share with u the """""progress""""" that i made so far.

1690323843326.png

1690322363424.png

and this is how the GC daughterboard will look: 1v9 ic kinda bulky but it the least of my problems hahah
1690323964181.png
1690324033840.png

1690324430348.png
1690324522902.png

I'm currently using some design from @Aurelio wiiPMS (big KUDOS for making such a awesome work) for the 5v and 3v3 lines. for the 1v9 i found the TPSM84A22MOJR IC than can handle up to 10A of current (i know that CPU max current is 11A but i want to take the risk) in a nice SMD pack.

the battery connection will be a HIROSE DF65-6P (3 lines for v+, 3 for gnd) with awg 22-24 gauge (i searched about that type of connector and cable gauge and i found that will be able to handle the current)

For battery charging I'll use the BQ25886RGER that can charge a 2s li-po battery ( my current config)

For audio will use the "classic" LM49450SQ. here i will have some trouble because i want to use the i2s audio from GC and manage the volume with i2c protocol. so, i must have some king of micro-controller to handle the settings and the audio configuration of the IC.

I really don't' have any idea of what is the best to supply the requirements of the portable. Also, as part of the list of things that i want to make, I'll need more micro-controllers ( or maybe the same) to handle fan PWM, on/off using software (like a latch switch. press to on, hold to off), handle the enable pins of regulators to handle when the input voltage are stable and ready to power on the regulators and then turn on the console (idk if its necessary to do so but i know that laptops use something similar), handle the lights for on/off, charging state, low battery and some temp warning. (what do u suggest me to do? a couple of micro-controllers? just 1? Atmega? some PIC?).

please any feedback will be sooper dooper appreciated

see ya!

Last edited:
I like what you're doing man. First time seeing this post and I like it.

I'm also making a portable gamecube, if you want to check my worklog here.

If I can help you with anything, let me know (I speak spanish)

Keep doing what you love