Discussion Batteries

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
How dangerous is soldering to 18650s? Is the best approach to sand them with low grit sand paper first to make it easier to solder to? Is it better to use a higher temp to do it quick or a lower temp to prevent too much heat? What should I do to cover the terminals after I solder to them to avoid shorts as the terminals are pretty large? How can I test to make sure they're working after I wire them to the protection circuit before I hook it up to the console?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
How dangerous is soldering to 18650s? Is the best approach to sand them with low grit sand paper first to make it easier to solder to? Is it better to use a higher temp to do it quick or a lower temp to prevent too much heat? What should I do to cover the terminals after I solder to them to avoid shorts as the terminals are pretty large? How can I test to make sure they're working after I wire them to the protection circuit before I hook it up to the console?
It helps to sand or simply scratch the metal contacts and apply flux. I've always soldered to the batteries and without any problems. Just be sure not to leave the iron on the battery for very long and be mindful of the time if the solder is not sticking right away. You can insulate them in electrical tape and measure the voltage out of the protection circuit before connecting to the console.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
It helps to sand or simply scratch the metal contacts and apply flux. I've always soldered to the batteries and without any problems. Just be sure not to leave the iron on the battery for very long and be mindful of the time if the solder is not sticking right away. You can insulate them in electrical tape and measure the voltage out of the protection circuit before connecting to the console.
How hot do you set your iron to? Also about how long is too long to keep the iron on the batteries? Will it be possible with a conical tip? It's the only tip I have (that came with my iron)

Last edited:

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
How hot do you set your iron to? Also about how long is too long to keep the iron on the batteries? Will it be possible with a conical tip? It's the only tip I have (that came with my iron)
I don't know the specific chemistry associated around Li-ion safety but they are no toys. I generally keep it at a medium temperature and try to get a good solder joint in under a few seconds. The conical should work, you want to use the edge of it so there is more surface area connecting to the battery terminal.

I've read online a few times that you want your iron to be on a very high setting in order to make the connection quicker and keep the battery as cool as possible. It seems counterintuitive but having your iron at a higher temperature will allow you to get in and out quicker and keep the battery cooler which will lessen the risk of causing any damage. The key is to make the joint as quickly as possible. And like gman said, more surface area is another key.

Last edited:

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
I've read online a few times that you want your iron to be on a very high setting in order to make the connection quicker and keep the battery as cool as possible. It seems counterintuitive but having your iron at a higher temperature will allow you to get in and out quicker and keep the battery cooler which will lessen the risk of causing any damage. The key is to make the joint as quickly as possible. And like gman said, more surface area is another key.
I ended up using a temp of 370C and used the side of my tip and that worked pretty well.

E64

Portables
What's a good low battery indicator for 7.4v?

Pretty soon, I'm going to gut a Bentley continental gt, and put batteries in it. Problem is, I don't know much about battery packs. Do you need an ocpc (over charge protection circuit) if all cells have them built into them?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Pretty soon, I'm going to gut a Bentley continental gt, and put batteries in it. Problem is, I don't know much about battery packs. Do you need an ocpc (over charge protection circuit) if all cells have them built into them?
You'll want to go to a proper automotive forum about that. Electric cars are a whole different level to what most of us do here.

Kris

This thread says alot about batteries but I have some 3.7 18650 batteries that are 5000 mAh
1498012564424-1842092153.jpg

They power vape mods I have these and some others laying around...can I use them

Edit: I seem to ask questions to early..I have read a bunch about fake batteries lol nvm

Last edited:

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
This thread says alot about batteries but I have some 3.7 18650 batteries that are 5000 mAhView attachment 3043
They power vape mods I have these and some others laying around...can I use them
You need to be careful of 18650's (that's the kind of battery you have) Most of them lie about their capacity. You technically could use them but you may not get the performance that you think or like. The best place to buy batteries is from the BOM. They are a reputable dealer.

Kris

You need to be careful of 18650's (that's the kind of battery you have) Most of them lie about their capacity. You technically could use them but you may not get the performance that you think or like. The best place to buy batteries is from the BOM. They are a reputable dealer.
Roger Wilco!

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
This thread says alot about batteries but I have some 3.7 18650 batteries that are 5000 mAhView attachment 3043

Edit: I seem to ask questions to early..I have read a bunch about fake batteries lol nvm
That cell makes Joan Rivers' face look authentic

Kris

That cell makes Joan Rivers' face look authentic
Hahaha

-merge-

I already have a bunch of different 18650s but for vape mods..so these were just sitting in a drawer lol...

I know i double posted but I will try not to do that

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, so I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to batteries, and was wondering if you can wire two 3.7v batteries to a 7.4v battery pack protection circuit and charger.

These are the batteries I want to get: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121611468285?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

And this is the Protection Circuit (seems pretty common around here): http://www.batteryspace.com/pcbfor74vli-ionbatterypack8a-1alimit.aspx

And this is the charger: http://www.batteryspace.com/smartcharger12afor74vli-ionpolymerrechargeablebatterypack--ullisted.aspx

Just want to confirm that I can wire all 3 of those together for my n64 portable.
(EDIT) What terminal should I select for the charger? Assuming I order it.

Thanks in advance!

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Hey, so I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to batteries, and was wondering if you can wire two 3.7v batteries to a 7.4v battery pack protection circuit and charger.

These are the batteries I want to get: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121611468285?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

And this is the Protection Circuit (seems pretty common around here): http://www.batteryspace.com/pcbfor74vli-ionbatterypack8a-1alimit.aspx

And this is the charger: http://www.batteryspace.com/smartcharger12afor74vli-ionpolymerrechargeablebatterypack--ullisted.aspx

Just want to confirm that I can wire all 3 of those together for my n64 portable.
(EDIT) What terminal should I select for the charger? Assuming I order it.

Thanks in advance!
Yes, you can run sets of 3.7v cells in series to create a 7.4v pack. As for the charger, option 1 will give you a standard 5.5 x 2.1mm DC barrel plug. The receptacles for these are cheap and easy to find on ebay, digikey or Radioshack.