How many?

Kris

I posted earlier about working on some broken boards trying to get some skills down..I got overly excited and opened up my gba sp...after working with it and take it apart I went to solder some wires and I muffed stuff up..so I'm wondering how many things have people here messed up? Maybe I won't be to discouraged if I know I'm not the only one that has jacked easy MOD stuff up. Thanks in advance!

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
If anyone here says that they did everything perfectly first try, then they are lying.

Go through the Wii noob question thread. You'll see some of the more prominent members on these forums, as well as many less prominent, have things not work out. For me personally, I botched desoldering the U10 twice and I think botched the reatatchment of it on an OM6 trim. Mistakes are normal, but definitely keep practicing so that you don't mess up anything important!

JacksonS

Portables
I went through about 14 GameCube motherboards and several failed case designs over the course of two years before I FINALLY made a portable that worked. And I'm glad my earlier attempts didn't work out because I learned essential skills by messing up so many times.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
I went through about 14 GameCube motherboards and several failed case designs over the course of two years before I FINALLY made a portable that worked. And I'm glad my earlier attempts didn't work out because I learned essential skills by messing up so many times.
lol u didnt get better at soldering you just stopped using wires.

Whatever works I guess...

Ampz

Wow 14 GameCubes, that must've been frustrating :O

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
Lemme see, i have destroyed a rpi zero, a wii, along with some other stuff

Bakuku

Portables
This

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I destroyed one gamecube by shorting 12v and composite out (they're right next to each other on the video connector). Besides that, I've only destroyed one Wii because of software issues (prii pm days).

Kris

I destroyed one gamecube by shorting 12v and composite out (they're right next to each other on the video connector). Besides that, I've only destroyed one Wii because of software issues (prii pm days).
Whoa crazy stuff..I will get it as long as I just keep reading before I start jacking stuff up lol

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Let's see....
  • 5 OFFICIAL GC CONTROLLERS
  • 4 LCDs
  • 3 Gamecubes. (One to ripped DD pads, one just stopped working altogether, and one put 12v where it shouldn't go and killed the AVE)
  • Two Wiis to bricking
  • And DS lite to a cheap screen
Actual numbers

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
-3 or 4 LCD screens due to reversed voltage (at ~$20 I guess they can't afford to put in some protection).
-2 SNES boards. First one I can't remember why. But second one was because it didn't like the audio daughterboard being removed and I never could get it fixed.
-2 PSone boards. First one shorted on its own ground plate while I was testing. Second one because I had the controller wired up wrong.

Kris

-3 or 4 LCD screens due to reversed voltage (at ~$20 I guess they can't afford to put in some protection).
-2 SNES boards. First one I can't remember why. But second one was because it didn't like the audio daughterboard being removed and I never could get it fixed.
-2 PSone boards. First one shorted on its own ground plate while I was testing. Second one because I had the controller wired up wrong.
Was the psone a difficult build?

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Not really. It was fairly straightforward. Did have some problems with the case which I had to overhaul during the build. Other thing was I didn't extend the drive's ribbon cable, so it was a pain reconnecting to the board when closing the system up.

While I don't recommend making a portable with a built in disk drive, the PSone is good because overheating isn't really a concern. I have no fan or vent holes in mine and I've been playing the Chrono Trigger port each day on my commute without issue.

Kris

Not really. It was fairly straightforward. Did have some problems with the case which I had to overhaul during the build. Other thing was I didn't extend the drive's ribbon cable, so it was a pain reconnecting to the board when closing the system up.

While I don't recommend making a portable with a built in disk drive, the PSone is good because overheating isn't really a concern. I have no fan or vent holes in mine and I've been playing the Chrono Trigger port each day on my commute without issue.
Wow that's cool man!!!