Wii SP 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's some impressive case work. I'll be taking notes. I also love how you managed to cram so many different functions into the custom PCBs. I want to have full Wii and Gamecube functionality in my portable, so the PCB with multiple controllers on it is especially interesting to me.

Not to discourage any other contestants, but based on what I've seen so far, this is easily my vote for the contest!

JacksonS

Portables
That's some impressive case work. I'll be taking notes. I also love how you managed to cram so many different functions into the custom PCBs. I want to have full Wii and Gamecube functionality in my portable, so the PCB with multiple controllers on it is especially interesting to me.
Thank you! Yeah, that's the idea, to maximize the compatibility with Wii games (although I do regret not having a nunchuck). I'm adding something else soon to make things a little more compatible ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).

JacksonS

Portables
o you made this yourself, with kikad! I don't understand all for now, but can anynody reproduces this boards with the models? It's looks complex... but good work! ;)
Thanks, I've been using KiCad since I started PCB design. There are probably better options, but it's the only one I've used.

I may upload the PCB designs for public use at some point (along with the 3D model for the case), but I'm not sure on that, and if I do it won't be for a while.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
neet! I would suggest cleaning your boards with some rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush or something, it'll prevent corrosion and other issues down the line. The internal USB with the switching jack is actually pretty cool though, you gonna just plug a drive into an internal port, or rip the board out and solder directly?

JacksonS

Portables
I would suggest cleaning your boards with some rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush or something, it'll prevent corrosion and other issues down the line.
I clean what I can with alcohol, but I've never tried a toothbrush. That might actually work pretty well.

The internal USB with the switching jack is actually pretty cool though, you gonna just plug a drive into an internal port, or rip the board out and solder directly?
I plug the drives into an internal USB port and wire that. I don't want to risk soldering anything to a 128 GB flash drive because I once had one stop working unexpectedly and I couldn't return it after I soldered to it.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I clean what I can with alcohol, but I've never tried a toothbrush. That might actually work pretty well.
They work great for removing gunk, flux, and hot glue.

I plug the drives into an internal USB port and wire that.
Ought'a just put a port on the board then :P

JacksonS

Portables
Now that the matte finish is pretty dry, I've put some buttons and LED diffusers in the front case. The LED diffusers are 3D printed with translucent PLA and they work pretty well. Not as well as a real diffuser, but it's not bad at all.
20170531_165501.jpg

20170531_165518.jpg

I painted the front of my heatsink white so it will match the finish on the case. I figure it won't obstruct heat dissipation much (if at all) since it's just one face.
20170531_204502.jpg

20170531_204530.jpg

20170531_204549.jpg

The fan is the same size as the heatsink, 35mm x 35mm. There will be a 70mm x 35mm copper plate attached to the heatsink as well as the CPU and GPU on the Wii (I got this setup from Gman and Shank). This method of cooling got pretty warm in my prototype, so I'm using a heatsink with more surface area this time, hoping that will help.

Last edited:

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
The fan is the same size as the heatsink, 35mm x 35mm. There will be a 70mm x 35mm copper plate attached to the heatsink as well as the CPU and GPU on the Wii. This method of cooling got pretty warm in my prototype, so I'm using a heatsink with more surface area this time, hoping that will help.
Instead of using that thermal tape, use some thermal pads, they should help with the heat conduction

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Owo, can i have the designs to that reg board?
Be reasonable, that design has been made by Jackson to specifically fit in his portable. Also as he stated:
I may upload the PCB designs for public use at some point (along with the 3D model for the case), but I'm not sure on that, and if I do it won't be for a while.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
From my experience, thermal paste has worked better than thermal pads. Anybody got concrete numbers on performance differences?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
From my experience, thermal paste has worked better than thermal pads. Anybody got concrete numbers on performance differences?
You have to look for the one with the higher thermal conductivity. High end 3M thermal pads have thermal conductivity of ~ 4 W/m-K. Arctic silver 5 is claimed to have a thermal conductivity of almost 9 W/m-K, but it's actually below 1 W/m-K.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
You have to look for the one with the higher thermal conductivity. High end 3M thermal pads have thermal conductivity of ~ 4 W/m-K. Arctic silver 5 is claimed to have a thermal conductivity of almost 9 W/m-K, but it's actually below 1 W/m-K.
REALLY? That's fascinating. We should have a thermals discussion thread. I'd love to learn more about it.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
REALLY? That's fascinating. We should have a thermals discussion thread. I'd love to learn more about it.
It's too general. There are so many different products, all with different specs. You should look at some datasheets to get those values

JacksonS

Portables
The headphone jack, Wiimote LEDs, IR LEDs, and a bunch of buttons are on this board.
20170601_203512.jpg

The start, minus, and home buttons are SKQGAAE010 from Alps, which I recommend. I'm using original membranes from a Wiimote on them.

20170601_225057.jpg

How do you even create PCBs?

Shank

Staff member
Portables

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Thanks man! Lol I forgot to google it
If you are forgetting to google before posting to a forum, you probably should not be posting on a forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.