Fully functional Pip-boy 3000a

Hey guys,

I wanted to take the time to show you guys my pet project that I've building on and off for about two years now.

My goal was to create a fully functional pip boy. Not just in terms of the software, but also in terms of the control interface. Not only that, but I also wanted it to be a standalone wearable unit, which meant internal batteries.

The design is of my own creation and was made in AutoCAD.

Features:
Custom designed and 3D printed (PLA) case and buttons.
Raspberry Pi 2
Adafruit Pro Trinket (Arduino clone)
1x 12 position Rotary switch
1x Rotary encoder
1x 5 position switch
3x dpdt plunger style switches
1x 4" Dalian Good Display
1x Super wide gear magnifying glass for a crt look

Attachments

Last edited:

BocuD

Portables
Oh wow this is awesome! Mind sharing the internals? Also how did you create the UI?

Oh wow this is awesome! Mind sharing the internals? Also how did you create the UI?
Thank you man.

The OS existed already. It's called Pypboy. As for the interfaces, I used an Arduino clone that I programmed to act as a keyboard and I also coded to accept the control interfaces (rotary encoders, rotary switch, various switches etc.). The 5 position switch on the glove even acts as a mouse.

Unfortunately I neglected to take a picture of the internals during the build. I'll see if I can do so later.

Last edited:

BocuD

Portables
Thank you man.

The OS existed already. It's called Pypboy. As for the interfaces, I use an Arduino clone that I programmed to act as a keyboard and I also coded to accept the control interfaces (rotary encoders, rotary switch, various switches etc.). The 5 position switch on the glove even acts as a mouse.

Unfortunately I neglected to take a picture of the internals during the build. I'll see if I can do so later.
Oh, thats too bad. edit: (how you don't have pictures of the internals) Interesting way to use the buttons tough. How did you emulate the mouse with the 5 position switch? The way you emulate the mouse may come really useful to me in a project I'm working on.

Oh, thats too bad. edit: (how you don't have pictures of the internals) Interesting way to use the buttons tough. How did you emulate the mouse with the 5 position switch? The way you emulate the mouse may come really useful to me in a project I'm working on.
Yea man, sorry. In my rush to finish, I closed it up and didn't get a picture first.

I based it off adafruit's ProTrinketHidCombo code. The code I based it off of is that within the link below.

https://github.com/adafruit/Pro-Trinket-Rotary-Encoder/blob/master/ProTrinketHidCombo.h

Edit: Internal pics added to OP.

BocuD

Portables

BocuD

Portables
Thank you. Believe me when I say that a ton of time and effort went into the design.
Yeah that doesn't surprise me. Anyways it came out better then anything I have made yet.