Guide The definitive Wii trimming guide is live!

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
You realize you're only talking about being able to turn the console on and off with bluetooth, and using actual physical discs, right?

JacksonS

Portables
You realize you're only talking about being able to turn the console on and off with bluetooth, and using actual physical discs, right?
I can't say I care about the MX's power functions, but there are apps that don't work on the Wii due to the MX chip's absence, right? That seems to be the case for me, which is what concerns me. About the disc drive, not having it poses problems or inconveniences, even using everything we have right now, that I don't believe can be skirted around so easily. It's certainly not just wanting to slap a physical drive back on (I hope no one does want to).

Last edited:
I can't say I care about the MX's power functions, but there are apps that don't work on the Wii due to the MX chip's absence, right? That seems to be the case for me, which is what concerns me. About the disc drive, not having it poses problems or inconveniences, even using everything we have right now, that I don't believe can be skirted around so easily. It's certainly not just wanting to slap a physical drive back on (I hope no one does want to).
Aside from power functions, its simply a matter of RTC (real time clock) and GC font data, the RTC isn't really a concern for most, and the font data is already worked around with nintendont, so there isn't any other concerns with taking it off... To recap, SNEEK + DI for anything that requires the DVD drive, which can easily be booted with some sort of loader. GameCube requires a reboot to load nintendont up which isn't that much of an inconvenience if you have a reset button hooked up, just press reset, boot nintendont from the loader and play your games... Not too bad honestly

JacksonS

Portables
You're right, I was just commenting on how I wish there were a better interface for the rebooting for GC games and such.

You're right, I was just commenting on how I wish there were a better interface for the rebooting for GC games and such.
Well, I'm currently knee deep in 3ds code or I'd take a look at some of it and see what I could come up with... Maybe I'll work with a few people when I get my project finished and do some brainstorming, if nothing has been come up with by then anyways

watsug

I'm trying to do the trim but got stuck on the first step, the wifi relocation. Butchered the first wifi module by ripping off some contact points, second also ripped a point but I was able to solder to a via instead. Then when I connected it and it didn't work, so I tried shortening a wire and a wire popped of from the module, didn't secure them well enough, ugh. Desoldered the module again.

Since then the wifi modules don't work in the wifi slot either. I have hbc installed and priiloader to boot straight into hbc. The wifi icon is flashing and reset to enter priiloader doesn't work, which is the same as with no wifi module. Has anyone else experienced this?

I made a third try to solder to the resistor array, turned out cleaner this time but it still doesn't work. Data wires are all 4 cm.
P1010280.jpg
Any idea what could be wrong?

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I made a third try to solder to the resistor array, turned out cleaner this time but it still doesn't work. Data wires are all 4 cm.
View attachment 203
Any idea what could be wrong?
Try shortening the power wire, and are all the wires the same length? If that doesn't work, you may need to shorten the data wires even more

JacksonS

Portables
I recommend cutting the female wifi connector out of a Wii board and using that to rewire the wifi module. It is easier than wiring straight to the module, doesn't take much space, and allows you to switch out the modules if needed. That of course will only work if you haven't removed the male connector from your module.

cheese

Staff member
I recommend cutting the female wifi connector out of a Wii board and using that to rewire the wifi module. It is easier than wiring straight to the module, doesn't take much space, and allows you to switch out the modules if needed. That of course will only work if you haven't removed the male connector from your module.
That would be ideal, but since it's already wired, may as well work with it.

watsug

Shortening the power wire made no difference, all data wires are 4cm. When I short them I'll go with the connector route. The wifi didn't work when in the original connector (with verified working wifi modules) after I removed wires from resistor in my second attempt. Could I have fried some internal wifi logic part?

cheese

Staff member
The wifi didn't work when in the original connector (with verified working wifi modules) after I removed wires from resistor in my second attempt. Could I have fried some internal wifi logic part?
It's possible, but more likely that you just disconnected/shorted some of the pins on the resistor arrays.

JacksonS

Portables
The wifi didn't work when in the original connector (with verified working wifi modules) after I removed wires from resistor in my second attempt. Could I have fried some internal wifi logic part?
Check that you still have a resistance reading between the connector and the GPU vias. Sometimes the metal contacts on the resistors break off slightly and you can't really see it.

watsug

I checked with my multimeter and I got a reading of closer to 1Mohm, so I think I overheated them when soldering. So I removed the resistor arrays and cut out the connector from a CPU-01, which has the resistor by the connector. Then I soldered it to the vias, and it worked :)... for a while at least. The wii turned off and it turns out 3.3v had bridged to ground in the connector piece I cut out. Smelled a little burnt as well. Since then the Wii doesn't boot. Time to get another one. Thanks for the help guys!

Would it be okay to, while cutting the PCB, also cut out the rectangle of the MX chip so that we don't have to reflow it off the board?

JacksonS

Portables
Would it be okay to, while cutting the PCB, also cut out the rectangle of the MX chip so that we don't have to reflow it off the board?
Yes, that's a good idea. Just make sure you sand the edges of it so that 3.3v doesn't somehow get shorted to GND.

Just to make sure, as far as the regulator portion is concerned, all the components that are highlighted need to be removed and then powered with the voltage over it? Also is anyone going to be a huge mvp and post a schematic for how they did it? Not something i particularly feel like dealing with

Im having issues with the trim nothing seems to be shorted to ground I made sure to check composite too and when I boot the Wii the remote connects to player 1 which leads me to believe there is still hope has this happened to anyone else I will upload pics so you can see what my motherboard looks like:

IMG_2195.JPG
IMG_2196.JPG
I have installed portablize Mii prior to this and it was working and even if I didn't have the flash drive connected it would still boot so that shouldn't be the problem

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Have you tried to boot the Wii with the relocated stuff before trimming it? Also have you installed the NoWiFi cIOSes with the installer?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Clean the flux mess on the bottom of the board with some rubbing alcohol