Guide Body Filler Tutorial

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I've heard of this method but never dared to try it because I was afraid I'd get melted plastic stuck to my iron.
I'd suggest only using a cheapo iron from radioshack or some iron you found in the garbage, it does terrible things to your tip that make soldering a nightmare until you clean it off (I know from experience :P)

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Similarly, I've heard that you can weld plastic by slotting a piece of plastic filament into a dremel and turning it on. The friction from the high revs melts the plastic and fuses it to whatever you're working on - so it's not too dissimilar from metal welding. Never tried this myself though.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Similarly, I've heard that you can weld plastic by slotting a piece of plastic filament into a dremel and turning it on. The friction from the high revs melts the plastic and fuses it to whatever you're working on - so it's not too dissimilar from metal welding. Never tried this myself though.
Huh. I never thought of that, but it makes sense. When I'm sanding plastic with my dremel, it melts at higher speeds

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
Can confirm. It's called friction welding and it works great for 3d printed parts. I've done it a few times and the key is trying to get a really straight piece of plastic in the chuck (since the filament comes in spools) and having your hand move gracefully across the part.

If you want to learn more about it, there is some good explanation and guides on YouTube

Portables
I've always wanted to try the acetone method, but... never had the funds to get the acetone. I may find some junk consoles/cases to try some of this out on for my crappy-ugly n64.

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
I've always wanted to try the acetone method, but... never had the funds to get the acetone. I may find some junk consoles/cases to try some of this out on for my crappy-ugly n64.
Paint remover/cleaner has acetone, I use it for melting abs. it works well.

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Paint remover/cleaner has acetone
Yep, I actually get my acetone from the paint section of my hardware store. This is the stuff I get. $7 isn’t too bad and lasts through a few batches.

Does anyone know if ps3 controllers are made out of abs? The plastic seems different then what the n64 is made out of.

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
If it’s not, it will surely melt. I cannot confirm that everything I’ve melted was ABS.