We're getting the BenHeck bump

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ColbertBump

After watching this video, I tweeted at Benheck('cause the only forum I post on is BB, yo.)

Friday night he dropped off a box o' memes as well as his business card with Noah, and then ventured off to find beer no doubt. When I arrived, Noah showed me the contents of the box...here is what I took home with me:

WHERE IS THE RCP
WHY IS THERE A GIANT CUT THROUGH THE BOARD (likely explanation)

WHY DID HE RESOLDER THE RCP

WHAT

WHAT

ports are still good probably ayy

Upon further inspection I also noticed this one board I have was used in both his console war videos as well as the N64p videos:

You can see the "CON" text written on the PIF chip is identical to the one on screen. I may sell this board to a museum someday for 50M.

There was also a board that had some wires, regulator stuff and battery connectors coming off of it. I was told it was one that Felix worked on. I immediately procured some of this authentic touched-by-Felix wire from it to use, and I am pleased to inform everyone that yes, it did smell like brown sugar. :sexualfelix:

Anyways, here's what I worked up for Ben at MGC:

It's by no means perfect, but it's the best I could do in a poorly-lit stinky hotel room. And hey, unlike these other questionable boards...it actually works. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SO WHAT DOES ALL OF THIS MEAN FOR BITBUILT?

Well, I spoke with Ben quite a few times at MGC, and here's what I got for us.

1. Ben's phone number. None of you peasants can have it, but currently I call him once a day and ask how Felix is doing. For some reason it says my number's blocked now, not sure why.
2. A shoutout on "The BenHeck Show." I was instructed to email Ben with whatever information I wanted to give him for the shoutout. So the shoutout will definitely have "BitBuilt.net forums" in it for sure, which is a nice meme for all of us.
3. I asked Ben if he could have Felix deliver the shoutout to us. He threw his head back, smiled, and said they should be able to film it when Felix is back in town. Hopefully this news is enough to bring even @BoFoSho back, but we'll see.

Anyways, the jist of all this is that with BenHeck mentioning the site, we've got some prepwork to do. There are lots of people who're gonna be watching this video about an N64 portable, and they're gonna want to learn more. Chances are they'll check out the aforementioned bitbuilt.net forums, and that's where we come in.

As a forum, we've seen some awesome growth and I've noticed that I'm seeing more and more regular faces around here. This reformation of the portablizing community and continued expansion of the scene has been an amazing thing to see and I hope you're all enjoying it as much as I am.

To continue with this, we're planning to start cleaning up and adding more information to the Guide Hub. Right now, the best way to help is to submit guides to Guide Submissions. At present, there's plenty of information in there that we're planning to sort through and format for the Guide Hub, but we're happy to take whatever we can get. Eventually a lot of this information will be sorted into the Wiki as well. Don't worry about writing guides yourself, if there are good guides out there we need to add in, don't hesitate to post them.
---

Part 3 of the N64 portable video will probably be airing in a couple weeks, I hope you're all as eager to watch it as I am now.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
To continue with this, we're planning to start cleaning up and adding more information to the Guide Hub. Right now, the best way to help is to submit guides to Guide Submissions. At present, there's plenty of information in there that we're planning to sort through and format for the Guide Hub, but we're happy to take whatever we can get. Eventually a lot of this information will be sorted into the Wiki as well. Don't worry about writing guides yourself, if there are good guides out there we need to add in, don't hesitate to post them.
Well, I've actually been working on a super-duper-noober guide as I've been working on my portable. I just have a giant google doc with all of my questions and answers, as well as some things that other people have said as well. My goal is to cover basically everything a person will need to know to make a Wii portable, and to have as much information as possible in a single guide. I know you guys aren't big on hand-holding, but my goal is to make the kind of guide that I could have used to make a portable from start to finish. I'll show it off once it is closer to completion, as I feel it would be a good tool for when someone says "how trim motherboard?" in the noob thread. This way, they can go to that guide, and hopefully get a feel for whether or not they really want to invest the time/energy/resources into a portable.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Well, I've actually been working on a super-duper-noober guide as I've been working on my portable. I just have a giant google doc with all of my questions and answers, as well as some things that other people have said as well. My goal is to cover basically everything a person will need to know to make a Wii portable, and to have as much information as possible in a single guide. I know you guys aren't big on hand-holding, but my goal is to make the kind of guide that I could have used to make a portable from start to finish. I'll show it off once it is closer to completion, as I feel it would be a good tool for when someone says "how trim motherboard?" in the noob thread. This way, they can go to that guide, and hopefully get a feel for whether or not they really want to invest the time/energy/resources into a portable.
So something like kasar's gamecube portable guide, but for wii? That'd be dope (though we may need to do some working to get it just right)

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
So something like kasar's gamecube portable guide, but for wii?
Exactly, but what I've got so far is better. It helps that English is my native language, so I can say everything that I want to, but Kasar's guide was what really got me to consider actually making a portable.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
I agree, I like that his guide went over hooking up a controller etc. It would be good to have a secondary guide here explaining all the smaller components like batteries, audio amps, controllers, screens, etc. All the info is here but having it all in one place would be great. It also started with a list of materials needed which I liked so you could get a feel of what went into a portable. :) I'm glad you're working on that, I think it's a great idea

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
I know you guys aren't big on hand-holding, but my goal is to make the kind of guide that I could have used to make a portable from start to finish.
While I completely support the guide you are making, I would also like to note that it's not necessarialy that we don't want to hold people's hands. Our main goal in making guides is to make them modular. While having an explanation for batteries, screens, etc is great, not everyone is going to use the same things to make a portable. Because not everyone is going to do it the same (which is what we want. We don't want to just have a bunch of clones of the same portable out there) it's difficult to have a de-facto guide for all of those.

I do agree that we could have better coverage of screens, batteries and a ton of other things but my main worry is that these types of guides will get outdated, either quickly due to new techniques or people finding new products, or eventually when everyone moves on to something better. Take for instance the Psone screen. It was a huge part of the early portabilizing scene and used all the time, but with backup camera screens and cheap audio amps (and a billion other reasons) guides that use those are no longer relevant and only spread confusion to those entering the scene who don't know where to look and find the best information. I can personally attest to this because when I first starting to make portables, I thought Psone screens were the bee's knees.

Now seriously just to reiterate. WE WANT PEOPLE TO MAKE GUIDES. We LOVE the help and the contribution and it's part of what makes this a community. Guides that follow your experience and mistakes are helpful, but guides that teach concepts and require people to learn are invaluable.

BocuD

Portables
I'll be working on a complete guide with every step of building a wii portable, including trimming, information about batteries, and screens, and probably something about 3d printing as well. But i wont start untill i start with my portable so it will probably take about 6 weeks before its completed. Is there anyone who wants to help me? I will start in ~ 1 week.

nobble

Can I hop on BUMPwagon plz? lol

BTW I saw this the other day. You sent it to the wrong address in Minnesota. ;)

Last edited:

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
Shoutout = these "dudes"(?) helped me out at a conference I went to.

No BitBuilt

No Felix saying ShockSlayer

Nothing about pigs