Worklog Noah's GameBoy "Flash carts"

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Ordering one for a friend, so didn't want to have to pass a single programmer back and forth. Especially since we live about 50 miles apart!

Got my preorder placed!

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Thanks!

What are the advantages of ordering a cart with FRAM over SRAM?

Noah

retired
Portables
Thanks!

What are the advantages of ordering a cart with FRAM over SRAM?
FRAM carts have non-volatile RAM which means that you don't need a save battery to use it. However, each cart ships with a new battery so for most it probably wouldn't be worth it and since you can use the programmers to dump your saves you can easily replace it without being worried of losing your save files.

***snip****
I'll also be selling individual carts for anyone who has a programmer and wants extra carts or someone who has
I can also style the carts however you'd like so it'll be unique to each person. I have these labels I have created for the carts if you'd rather keep it generic rather than having the cartridge represent one game only:
Are the images you provided the actual resolution of the ones you print and place on? I would like to make my own.

I can use Gimp and yes the PSD would be appreciated. I asked for my order on the bitbuilt store to be sent without labels for this reason.

Noah

retired
Portables
I can use Gimp and yes the PSD would be appreciated. I asked for my order on the bitbuilt store to be sent without labels for this reason.

Here you go! Let me know if you've got any questions. Also, again, if you want me to I can print it when I do the next sheet and apply it to the cart before I send it out, just let me know!

Attachments

Are these carts still available? I would love one of the RTC carts as well as a 2MB FRAM cart.

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
Are these carts still available? I would love one of the RTC carts as well as a 2MB FRAM cart.
There was a pre-order sale a little while back for these. irrc they will be available in the store at some point real soon. If they aren't in the store, then you will just have to wait until if/when Noah decides to do another run.

Noah

retired
Portables
Yeah they will be real soon. I'm finishing up now with the pre-order run and once the last of those ship out the stock in the store will be adjusted to what I've got left and I'll order components for more. I do know off the top of my head I've got stuff for F-RAM and RTC carts though so if you want to PM me I can set it up sooner for you rather than waiting for the store stock.

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Just got my carts yesterday and can I say...I'm in love. I'll be writing a positive review on them for the store as soon as I get the chance to do some testing with my MegaMem, GameShark, etc. Already successfully tested on an overclocked SP!

Noah

retired
Portables
FM18W08. I think people used this particular chip before and had no success because no one bothered to look at the datasheet to see that the CE line needs to be pulled high. I've even had people like BennVenn tell me it wouldn't work which gave me quite the chuckle. Adding a 10k resistor works just fine. I've tested it in every model of GameBoy as well, including modded ones. Never had any issues.

Only thing to mention is obviously you won't be able to use it in RTC carts unless you want to use it to just preserve your save since the MBC needs to be constantly powered to keep track of the time so those carts still require a battery unless you want to set the time every single time you boot the game.

I have plans to make a board sometime soon and sell it in the store as an easy kit for people who want to replace their RAM chips in their GameBoy games so if you were looking to replace some of your RAM chips be sure to keep and eye out.

Last edited:

Carb0

Ok, thank you. I made a Game Boy flash cart a few years ago and used 1MBit SRAM chips in a SOP32 package (AS6C1008-55SIN). I still have unused boards laying around and was thinking about using an FRAM chip in one of them but I haven't found a drop in replacement for that SRAM chip. The FM18W08 would work with a little bit of additional wiring but I'd prefer a (1Mbit) SOP32 chip.

Do you know a FRAM chip in a SOP32 package that is pin compatible with the AS6C1008-55SIN?

Noah

retired
Portables
None that I can find unfortunately. Your best bet would probably be to design a simple adapter board to allow use of a 28 pin chip in a 32 pin footprint.

Are there going to be more RTC carts in the store? I finally get paid and they're sold out again...just my luck.

Noah

retired
Portables
Are there going to be more RTC carts in the store? I finally get paid and they're sold out again...just my luck.
Those haven't restocked yet so don't worry. Just waiting on a new batch of boards to arrive sometime next week and they'll be back in!

nobble

Shucks, I missed out on preordering. I will have to purchase that RTC version for sure! I saw these cartridges on THIS DOES NOT COMPUTE. It's what made me find this Portable Haven on the interwebs. Glad to be back once more! I just purchased a refurbished gameboy pocket I'm going to do a bivert backlight mod to it. I will be rockin' your cartridges for sure!

Now, if you want to send me a cartridge to make a more in depth video on these, please let me know. TDNC's video was very vague and short for what he received. I would go in depth on programming and specifications. I am looking for more sponsorships on my channel to get the momentum going. I already have a couple in the works with a few gameboy modding shops possibly. ;)

Great work Noah! Can't wait to see the RTC cart in the shop again.