7" TFT with YPbPr (Component)

Shank

Staff member
Portables
If you are looking for a 7" TFT LCD with Component Video for your Wii (or other inferior console) portable, here it is.

DX Link

DX Soul Link

AliExpress

Its called the L7009. I posted it to Modretro when I found it a long time ago but I guess it has been buried and forgotten... until now. I also found 2 more sources since then, so I have included those as well. Now go make some Wii portables.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I'm using this in my portable. It works quite well as long as you use 480p. With 480i the image is a bit shifted (depends on the game) and there is no settings to fix it

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Hmm I should test, but the PAL games I tested where running at 60Hz 480i, so there should be no difference

JacksonS

Portables
I found a couple other driver boards.
This one is for 7", 8", and 9" screens.
This one is for 5" screens.
This one also supports a 6.5" screen.

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Bit of a necrobump, but I haven't seen any more info here on these boards Jackson linked and whether they actually work, have decent display quality, proper V/H shift controls, and accept interlaced signals from the few games Nintendont can't force 480p out of. I've ordered the 5' driver board and a 800x480 AT050TN43V.1 screen for testing, will report back with results.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Results:

Composite video works mostly. 60i looks terrible, is super fuzzy, flickery and hurts to look at. 50i looks great, best composite visuals I've seen to date, no issues there.

Component (which it's supposed to support natively) doesn't work at all. When you plug in R and B, no display change. Plug in G and the screen just shuts off. The board stays powered, but the screen light turns off and nothing can be seen. Settings can't be adjusted without an active input, so I can't tell if maybe there's a default setting that doesn't play nice.

I've tried several component devices and confirmed they all work on other screens. Unless someone else has any ideas, this may be a dead end for this board.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Results:

Composite video works mostly. 60i looks terrible, is super fuzzy, flickery and hurts to look at. 50i looks great, best composite visuals I've seen to date, no issues there.

Component (which it's supposed to support natively) doesn't work at all. When you plug in R and B, no display change. Plug in G and the screen just shuts off. The board stays powered, but the screen light turns off and nothing can be seen. Settings can't be adjusted without an active input, so I can't tell if maybe there's a default setting that doesn't play nice.

I've tried several component devices and confirmed they all work on other screens. Unless someone else has any ideas, this may be a dead end for this board.
Damn. I think I ordered the same board as you. @Shank mentioned after I ordered it that it might not work. I know diddly squat about video output since I haven't had any issues that caused me to do my research, but I've got a question. From what I'm reading RGB is different than component.
av_port.png
This is from the trimming guide. It looks like it normally outputs RGB or S-Video unless specifically told you want component. And this link mentions something similar. Are you outputting the video using cables or are you doing it with a wii mobo?
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/archive/index.php/t-83638.html

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Wii component cables plugged into the untouched AV port. Further checking shows that the component plug to the board is using the RGB pins of what was a VGA connector. I think we may have been bamboozled. The OSD says YPBPR, but that may be a boldfaced lie.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
@Stitches
Interesting. Does YUV or component ever show up on the screen? The fuzzy flickery video makes me think that something isn't matching up. Maybe the display drive board is programed for a display different than the one we are using. @Aurelio told me a bit about how screens can be incompatible despite having the same resolution and pins. Sometimes the frequency isn't right, and other stuff. Im not too knowledgable on the subject.

If it truly is incompatible, that is unfortunate. There are no known small screens with component enabled. The 7" one mentioned in the thread is the smallest known one, but its still too big for most portables.

@Madmorda
Yes, short answer is that RGB is different than VGA. VGA is RGBHV. Ive heard whispers about attempts to extract the horizontal and vertical sync from the RGB signal to use it as VGA, but nobody has been successful as far as I know. But we have come a long way, and GC video VGA can work with Wii, and is superior to the Wii's video encoder and stock video output options. A "ready to buy" solution for the Wii isn't available right now, but I imagine that'll change in the near future.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
@Stitches
Interesting. Does YUV or component ever show up on the screen? The fuzzy flickery video makes me think that something isn't matching up. Maybe the display drive board is programed for a display different than the one we are using. @Aurelio told me a bit about how screens can be incompatible despite having the same resolution and pins. Sometimes the frequency isn't right, and other stuff. Im not too knowledgable on the subject.

If it truly is incompatible, that is unfortunate. There are no known small screens with component enabled. The 7" one mentioned in the thread is the smallest known one, but its still too big for most portables.

@Madmorda
Yes, short answer is that RGB is different than VGA. VGA is RGBHV. Ive heard whispers about attempts to extract the horizontal and vertical sync from the RGB signal to use it as VGA, but nobody has been successful as far as I know. But we have come a long way, and GC video VGA can work with Wii, and is superior to the Wii's video encoder and stock video output options. A "ready to buy" solution for the Wii isn't available right now, but I imagine that'll change in the near future.
I have one of those L7009 screens here, am trying to find the component plug it came with to test it. I really wanted this 5 inch one to work. The odd part is that power to the screen completely cuts when you plug in a component feed.

Last edited:

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
I spent a while googling around to find one from a different seller in case they mentioned whether it was component capable or not. And guess what I found? :D
Our board from our seller:
http://www.wayengineer.com/index.ph...fo&cPath=463_49&products_id=6079#.WN3aqPnyvIV
Different seller:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VGA-2AV-Rev...816113?hash=item1c652212b1:g:ALAAAOxyXJxR7Kl8

It looks like it's a VGA driver board that they soldered composite cables to lol. Mystery solved. /sigh

So my only options now are to use a GC Video board, or go with composite right? (I can't use a 7" screen). I'm reluctant to shell out another $50+ just to go from composite to VGA :T

Shank

Staff member
Portables
It gets a little more complicated than that @Madmorda. Two boards can actually use the same pcb and chip, but have completely different programing on the chip. In fact, the datasheet for that IC says it natively accepts up to 2 component video signals, and uses the same pins on the IC as the VGA lines, because VGA and component are similar in an electrical sense. So most drive boards COULD accept component if they were programed to do so, but most consumers don't care for it, so they leave it out.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
The WayEngineer one is supposed to have that programming.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Wii component cables plugged into the untouched AV port. Further checking shows that the component plug to the board is using the RGB pins of what was a VGA connector. I think we may have been bamboozled. The OSD says YPBPR, but that may be a boldfaced lie.
How do you know which plug is which for component? I didn't see a datasheet on wayengineer, and they aren't red green and blue plugs to match the cable.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
How do you know which plug is which for component? I didn't see a datasheet on wayengineer, and they aren't red green and blue plugs to match the cable.
The underside of the board has a label for every pin.

nobble

Is anyone able to find out if composite pins are accessible on this board? I'm hoping to switch mine between component and composite.

BocuD

Portables
There are AV1, AV2 and AV3 pins on the bottom of the board. You would normally hook up Y Pb and Pr here but you can also hook up composite to either of em. I'd use a switch to switch from Y to AV1 for instance.