Magnet Enabled Copper Wire Questions

Portables
Lol!
These questions are for those who have previous experience with magnet wire:

What's the difference between it and other insulated wire?

Can it be used for ground, power, etc?

Is there a place where I can get a multicolored spool?

I saw that Shockslayer and Gman used it before and I'm interested in using it in the future.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
These questions are for those who have previous experience with magnet wire:

What's the difference between it and other insulated wire?

Can it be used for ground, power, etc?

Is there a place where I can get a multicolored spool?

I saw that Shockslayer and Gman used it before and I'm interested in using it in the future.
Magnet wire is enamel coated in contrast to other insulated wires. The enamel can be removed with an x-acto knife, sand paper, or even just burn it off with the soldering iron tinning it in the process. I have been using 34-gauge magnet wire but you can also get 38-gauge apparently.

It is very thin wire so it is not recommended to use for wires carrying higher current like power/ground.

Yes. I got an assortment of magnet wire from Radioshack. Ebay is also a good place to look.

Portables
Lol!
Magnet wire is enamel coated in contrast to other insulated wires. The enamel can be removed with an x-acto knife, sand paper, or even just burn it off with the soldering iron tinning it in the process. I have been using 34-gauge magnet wire but you can also get 38-gauge apparently.

It is very thin wire so it is not recommended to use for wires carrying higher current like power/ground.

Yes. I got an assortment of magnet wire from Radioshack. Ebay is also a good place to look.
Thank you for your detailed response!

JacksonS

Portables
I find magnet wire to be best for data transfer because it can't carry much current, but it's much thinner than other insulated wire of the same gauge. I use 38 gauge and it can fit through all the vias on a Wii or GC motherboard, so that's very convenient.

Portables
Lol!
I find magnet wire to be best for data transfer because it can't carry much current, but it's much thinner than other insulated wire of the same gauge. I use 38 gauge and it can fit through all the vias on a Wii or GC motherboard, so that's very convenient.
Thank you for responding in detail!

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
This is one of my favorite subjects in portablizing.

Since it's what most people are looking to do, 34 gauge is the best size for Wii vias, 38 is basically the same size as the bluetooth traces(although I've used the 34 gauge for BT plenty of times.) @megalomaniac and I bought a bunch of different sizes all the way up to 40 gauge way back in the early days.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnet-Wire...784970?hash=item3a78fa7c8a:g:kG8AAOSwARZXlpAl

Adding to on what Gman says, I usually get a ball of solder on the tip of my iron, and then poke each wire through just enough to expose it and tin a bunch of them at the same time. Wire prep is basically half of the whole soldering process, but I've never regretted spending the time.

Portables
Lol!
This is one of my favorite subjects in portablizing.

Since it's what most people are looking to do, 34 gauge is the best size for Wii vias, 38 is basically the same size as the bluetooth traces(although I've used the 34 gauge for BT plenty of times.) @megalomaniac and I bought a bunch of different sizes all the way up to 40 gauge way back in the early days.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnet-Wire...784970?hash=item3a78fa7c8a:g:kG8AAOSwARZXlpAl

Adding to on what Gman says, I usually get a ball of solder on the tip of my iron, and then poke each wire through just enough to expose it and tin a bunch of them at the same time. Wire prep is basically half of the whole soldering process, but I've never regretted spending the time.
Thanks for answering!