white lines on display

i got a joytech ps2 slim screen that i wanted to use in a portable
so, i opened the case, flipped the screen inside the case to clean it up and then i put it back together and turned it back on
after that it started displaying 3 horizontal white lines across the middle of the screen (pictures included)
does anyone know what may be causing this problem or if it's there a way to fix it?

JacksonS

Portables
I've never seen that issue, but it looks to me like one of the edges of the LCD was damaged and now can't change color.
And I have to say I love your username and avatar.

i don't know how that happened but i may have probably damaged it like you said
i also noticed that after turning it back on after playing a game on it for a while, some of the pixels on those white lines turned blue for a brief moment, but then changed back to white again

edit: here's a few pics of the board, does anyone know what component is that by the arrow? there's a slight scent of burnt rubber coming from it when the screen is on

Last edited:

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
That component is probably a transformer used for the backlight.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
The only place I've seen anything similar is on the original gameboy, where you sometimes get entire lines of dead pixels.

If it worked before you took it apart and only started displaying the lines after putting it back together, you might try opening it again and playing with the ribbon cable that goes to the screen. I'm sure the gameboy is totally different, but when it got those lines it was the ribbon cable going bad.

Edit: If it is the ribbon cable, playing with it may make it better or worse. You might be able to get it back to normal for a while, but eventually the screen will probably need replacing.

Last edited:

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I wouldn't really suggest that screen in a portable, since it looks like it has an inverter, it will take more power than an LED backlit screen

battery life isn't really a concern for me because it'll be running off of wall power
anyway, i tried to reseat the ribbon cable at both ends, but it's still giving me the 3 white lines across the screen
turning the screen on without the ribbon cable plugged will give me a full white screen, so it's probably just a bad cable like some of you pointed out

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
battery life isn't really a concern for me because it'll be running off of wall power
anyway, i tried to reseat the ribbon cable at both ends, but it's still giving me the 3 white lines across the screen
turning the screen on without the ribbon cable plugged will give me a full white screen, so it's probably just a bad cable like some of you pointed out
I agree with Cheese, I wouldn't use that screen for a portable. Aside from power consumption and the lines, the circuit board is huge. Plus those backup monitors are probably cheaper ($15-20) than replacing that one.

Unplugging the ribbon cable would cause the whole thing to be white because it's not getting any input. With the gameboy, if you wiggle the whole thing around (Not unplug) sometimes it temporarily fixes it. But either way I'd recommend getting a new screen :). Tft backup monitors are cheap

i was actually thinking about making a laptop, that why i went with this 8'' screen, plus it also supports component video, which most backup monitors dont
here's a picture of the cable, can i even buy one of these at retail?

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
i was actually thinking about making a laptop, that why i went with this 8'' screen, plus it also supports component video, which most backup monitors dont
here's a picture of the cable, can i even buy one of these at retail?
There should be another cable. I meant the brownish one. And yes those are super common, but between the issues this has and the fact that it takes up a lot of room, I'd still recommend a different one :) but of course it's your project and you can do it any way you want

There should be another cable. I meant the brownish one. And yes those are super common, but between the issues this has and the fact that it takes up a lot of room, I'd still recommend a different one :) but of course it's your project and you can do it any way you want
the only cable that's connecting to the board is that white one i showed you. which brownish one are you talking about?

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
the only cable that's connecting to the board is that white one i showed you. what brownish one are you talking about?
That's weird. You're saying that nowhere on the lcd is there a super bendy brownish colored ribbon? That's weird that they'd use the white one, I don't think I've ever seen that.

it's probably underneath the board but i haven't seen it yet because i haven't fully disassembled the screen (board is still tightly attached to the lcd panel)