Worklog Noah's JB64

splain

What's that circular board that the speakers are hooked up to? Hmm, headphone port, USB micro port (for power?), volume control, and a (power?) switch. Some external speaker thing? What did you take apart to get that? I guess the headphone port is for sound IN.

Noah

retired
Portables
What's that circular board that the speakers are hooked up to? Hmm, headphone port, USB micro port (for power?), volume control, and a (power?) switch. Some external speaker thing? What did you take apart to get that? I guess the headphone port is for sound IN.
That's my audio amp currently. I might get a different one, but it's what I'm using for now. Headphone jack I think is for headphones, haven't tested it yet.

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
"N64 expansion pak found"
( ͠° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Hey looks great so far Noah. One concern, is there going to be a cartridge support of any kind? I had the n64 cart connector hanging outside of one of my n64ps and whenever it was bumped, it would reset. Quite annoying.

Noah

retired
Portables
Hey looks great so far Noah. One concern, is there going to be a cartridge support of any kind? I had the n64 cart connector hanging outside of one of my n64ps and whenever it was bumped, it would reset. Quite annoying.
Thanks man! Yeah, I had noticed that on a couple of games so far. I'm going to see about drilling through and using bolts to secure the slot and see if that helps at all.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
It's not so much the connector, but the actual cartridges that need to be tightly secured. Even putting a slight L shaped plastic lip behind the cartridge to support it helps a lot.

Noah

retired
Portables
Yeah, I'll probably put something on there.

Did a decently long test run with the unit, the back gets fairly warm. Not surprising because there is little to no moving air on the inside. Did an entire run through of Yoshis Story and it's not too hot, but warm enough to raise concern. I'm going to pop it back open tomorrow to fix a few small things but overall it works pretty well! I'm really not too keen on the idea of putting batteries in this thing though, it gets hot enough already.

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
This turned out a lot worse than I thought it would. I think you should throw it away and start over.

bentomo

sands mobos in a single swipe
Now build another with an integrated 64 drive.

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables

Cid

What third party controller did you use for that perticular build? I may pick one up.

Last edited:
In all fairness to Cid, the rule does state:
"The only reason you should be bumping old threads is if you have something of value to add."

While Noah does show the controller he ended up using in a photo on Post #44 of this thread, which is an official N64 controller, he never explicitly states that that is controller he used, or that it is even a controller. (I'm not saying he needed to dumb everything down and state this stuff though).

Noah also shows on Post #33 earlier in the thread the use of a different controller than in the final product for assumably testing his N64, which could lead to more confusion for a beginner.

I don't think Cid's question is unwarranted here and Noah's response would add value to the thread that was not there before for anyone looking for N64 controller info etc.

I don't say this in frustration with Chaos or anyone else, because your interpretation of the rules make sense in this case, but the community shouldn't set a precedent of stopping relevant/quality discussion on an older thread simply because it's old.

This kind of discussion keeps relevant information/questions to the thread organized and viewable by all rather than in a private message between Cid and Noah or lost in a new thread started by Cid asking this very question.

He used an official N64 controller that he trimmed smaller to save space. Here is a guide on the pinout for the official controller:
https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/official-controller-chip-pinout.58/
You can find many other examples of this online if that guide doesn't offer enough info for you, or feel free to start your own thread if you've got questions you can't find answers for.

(I bolded and underlined links because they don't show up on the Christmas theme lol)