Guide WiFi Module Pinout

JacksonS

Portables
I haven't seen this posted here yet, so I made a complete pinout for the Wii's WiFi module. It has 6 primary data lines, as we know, and 2 unused GPIO pins. It communicates via SDIO - 4 data lines, 1 clock line, and 1 command line. The 1.8v is not an input, but more of an output for reference (or something like that).

This information is based on the datasheet for the main IC: BCM4318.

WiFi Module Pinout.png

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
The 1.8v lines go to a capacitor on the Wii mobo, or in the case of most boards a unpopulated pad.
Not really sure what the point of this is, since most people will either not use WiFi, or don't care about what is on the lines, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bakuku

Portables
The 1.8v lines go to a capacitor on the Wii mobo, or in the case of most boards a unpopulated pad.
Not really sure what the point of this is, since most people will either not use WiFi, or don't care about what is on the lines, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ok... Seems a bit harsh don't you think?

What's with all this flaming these days...
The guy just wanted to share some info that might be usefull to others yet it seems to be the custom these days to just wave these kind of contributions aside... I get it you guys are angerd by all the questions you get with portabalizing and what not but still... Should be happy you guys inspire people to try electronics and challenge themselfs with a goal. Spoonfeeding I get is tiresome but come on ;)

Noah

retired
Portables
What's with all this flaming these days..
ModRetro and other forums were plagued with similar problems. Useless information doesn't go very far for us unfortunately. This pinout isn't dissimilar to making a pinout of the CPU on the N64 for example. Everyone already knows where the important pins are and what's connected to what so no further investigation is really needed.

Extra information that doesn't really help is only going to confuse noobs in the long run. You say we're "tired of spoonfeeding" but all something like this will do is grow the problem because people will ask if there's a way to relocate WiFi (and probably these individual pins) to an easier to solder to location.

One of the founding goals of this site was to provide the best platform available for portablizers and modders alike by fixing the problems of yesteryear. This is included in that.

Bakuku

Portables
Ok I get that sure! Better to have concrete information. But hard work and effort should still be praised I believe ;)

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Ok I get that sure! Better to have concrete information. But hard work and effort should still be praised I believe ;)
Well for one, I already made a pinout like this a while ago (2015 actually), but I took it down because as far as I could tell, it was completely useless. It would probably be better to put your efforts somewhere else @JacksonS :P No harm meant

JacksonS

Portables
This took literally 30 minutes. I figure knowing where the CLK pin is may help with routing wires correctly (as it does with the Wii's digital video) because WiFi wiring can be an issue sometimes.