Worklog Noah's JB64

Noah

retired
Portables
SOON
20160323_142943.jpg

On an actual note, this won't be entered in the contest. Plus, wouldn't it be kind of petty for me to enter a contest I'm hosting? Kappa

The board work was done by the one, the only, BitBuilt's top memer, SHOCKSLAYER!!111
It's on the way to me now.

Case layout will be very similar to Bud's JB, 'cept I'm not using a Hori cause they cost more than the console and if I had one I'd keep it to myself. :3

Attachments

Last edited:

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
CRAM IT IN THERE.

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
It's all I expect.

splain

What??? How can you trim so much off the board? It still works with all those components chopped? Sorry if this is common knowledge around here.

splain

The picture links are dead and I don't have permission to view the attachments, but the thumbnail looks decently like your board here. And I realize I could probably Google this. Makes me super curious about why all those traces and what looks like capacitors are included on the board, but are flat-out unnecessary??? No re-wiring required?

Anyway, I don't mean to hijack your worklog. Carry on. I assume there won't be a D-pad?

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
The picture links are dead and I don't have permission to view the attachments
That's weird. Try a different browser or clear your cache and let me know if the problem persists. There may be a permissions error somewhere that we'll have to fix.

Noah

retired
Portables
I have the same problems
Fixed.

The picture links are dead and I don't have permission to view the attachments, but the thumbnail looks decently like your board here. And I realize I could probably Google this. Makes me super curious about why all those traces and what looks like capacitors are included on the board, but are flat-out unnecessary??? No re-wiring required?

Anyway, I don't mean to hijack your worklog. Carry on. I assume there won't be a D-pad?
I never see questions as hijacking. Worklogs are a learning experience for everyone!

I fixed the permissions so you can now view those pictures. Sorry for the trouble!

To be honest, I am not sure why a lot of them are included when they can be trimmed off. Some of them are for filtering I'd assume, but are overall not needed.

Oh, and it will include a D-pad. It's just not in there in that picture.

splain

Awesome, thanks for fixing that (no problems now), and for welcoming my questions. That trimming is mind-blowing. Whoever discovered that for the first time is a brave soul.
I'm digging the upright orientation and Build Your Own Hori. That looks like it'll be a 3.5 inch screen. I started an N64 Boy Advance a while back, this is inspiring me to dig it up and finish it.

Noah

retired
Portables
Was probably SS/Beta.

Thanks man, glad you like it! You are correct, 3.5". Might see if I can find a new screen though, there's some odd blue bar across the top of my screen. Might be a setting, I gotta check and see.

Applied the filler to the case, hopefully it'll be sanded and painted by tomorrow. All of the wiring on the board is done and ready to be put into the case. Could easily be done by tomorrow if no problems arise.

So, just a heads up guys, you can cut the solder work in half, here's how... Take an IDE connector (make sure it's a 40 wire) and kinda bend the bottom pins on the cart connector together a bit, then just jam the IDE connector onto one side (since it isn't big enough for both sides) and repeat on the other, then just take the other end's connector off and solder wires ;) also seems a lot more reliable than solder joints since it has a plastic case around it... You may also have to clear the one pin hole that's blocked on the IDE connector

Noah

retired
Portables
So, just a heads up guys, you can cut the solder work in half, here's how... Take an IDE connector (make sure it's a 40 wire) and kinda bend the bottom pins on the cart connector together a bit, then just jam the IDE connector onto one side (since it isn't big enough for both sides) and repeat on the other, then just take the other end's connector off and solder wires ;) also seems a lot more reliable than solder joints since it has a plastic case around it... You may also have to clear the one pin hole that's blocked on the IDE connector
Yeah, that's been done in the past. With this portable though, I'm trying to limit the space used on everything. I need everything to be as small as possible so that I can fit what needs to be fit in there and try to cram batteries in.