Discussion UltraVGA - Interest Check

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
If I remember correctly, the FFC connector in the initial picture is compatible with the same flex cables that UltraHDMI uses. There are also pads underneath it for wiring it to the N64 by hand, and silkscreen on the bottom that labels them.

I wrote down 43 x 61mm for the board dimensions, I think those numbers are rounded up though. Considering it can fit into my ridiculously small designs, I'd say you can probably fit it no sweat.

Got the terminations wrong, I am greenwiring them on these 2 boards but fixing on the final.
I think I will leave in the 720p option for people running widescreen panels.

Going to remove the scanlines and stuff that doesn't apply when using small panels (I tried, it doesn't look good)

Also adding a special VGA Calibration test screen so that the pixels can be lined up 1:1 with your screen's AUTO mode. When I did this the results were incredible - see for yourself on the 640x480 panel I have.

And finally, this is on composite:

Last edited:
Wow amazing ,the picture is so beautiful and crisp.
Amazing work ,can't wait to see your portable also.

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond

Everybody - Chinese New Year ends in a few days and I will be able to get a quote back from the fab.

I need everybody to get your monies ready and set aside. I can only run the order through if everybody pays up.
Basically, it works like this:
1. I send RFQ for say 50 units to the fab. They respond with "Ok, we've costed it out and it'll cost $4k or whatever"
2. I link a checkout page here with a shopping cart and credit card page.
3. Everybody orders within 1-2 days and I wire the funds to the fab.

What can't happen is for me to get a quote for 40 and then only 30 people pay up - quotes don't work like that.

In other words

Acronell

Aquafam
Capital District, New York, United States
Put the worklog on BenHeck, never mention that it exists.
None would be the wiser
Hey, there have been two whole posts on BH this year. It definitely still exists.
http://forums.benheck.com/
I only check in to see if Bush will ever respond to my messages
( ゚ヮ゚)
Everybody - Chinese New Year ends in a few days and I will be able to get a quote back from the fab.

What can't happen is for me to get a quote for 40 and then only 30 people pay up - quotes don't work like that.

In other words
I'd be all about it if I hadn't spent my funds on other gaming bits T.T

Noah

retired
Portables
Interested in 1-2, quick question; how will this interact with PAL N64s; will they output 576p?
The short answer is: not well.

It depends entirely on the ability of the screen to sync to a signal besides standard VESA 640x480 (this is not a DTV standard, it's a PC monitor standard).
I'd have to look at one of those screen datasheets to know if it will take 576p (which is a digital TV standard). The board can generate anything up to a 50mhz pixel clock which is where the dac runs out of gas.
Should answer your question.

Shame its uncertain what these boards will do with a Pal machine, otherwise i would deffo order one.

Everybody add your name to this spreadsheet with how many you want to order.
Price will be anywhere from $50-80 depending on number of people.

If you enter your name you are committing to purchase when the time comes after RFQ.

Last edited:

Downing

Basement Owner
Portables
20ish...
I'll be getting two but my phone won't let me sign the sheet. I'll sign up when I get on a computer.

as what i understood, a PC monitor would be fine with adjusting to the signal from a PAL N64.
Eitherway i would love to experiment with this so i would be interessted to get 1.
The idea of a N64 running on 3.3v sounds very exciting.

Not sure whats with the spreadsheet tho, it seems its wiped ?
When its back il put me up for 1 board.

Not sure whats with the spreadsheet tho, it seems its wiped ?
That was me filling in the form on a tablet; don't know what happened but it wiped while I was doing it.

I figured out how to revert the document, and fixed my mistake.

Sorry everyone.

My VGA screen I got from ebay has a MST703 chipset and it works fine with 720x576 so pal should work there. There are other chipsets that do NOT work with 576p, but I know that one does.

Last edited by a moderator: