Guide How to wire a Stereo Headphone Jack

Luke

Portables
So what I had originally posted is no good.

See below for a discussion on how to properly wire audio amps that support speakers and headphones.

Last edited:

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
This kinda works, but it's not the proper way because the headphones would be over-amplified and they will easily break.

Luke

Portables
What is the better way?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
What is the better way?
Headphones are usually amplified with Class G amplifiers, while speakers with Class AB or D. Thus you should use two different amps. There are also many amplifier ICs that have both integrated and have internal headphone switch detection.

Luke

Portables
This kinda works, but it's not the proper way because the headphones would be over-amplified and they will easily break.
So I'm assuming that speakers plugged into a Class G amplifier would be way too soft?
Also, would you mind pointing me in the direction of the ICs that have both integrated?

Maybe something like this, which I saw some people talking about on MR way back when? Anything similar/better come out in the past 10 years that you know of?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
So I'm assuming that speakers plugged into a Class G amplifier would be way too soft?
Also, would you mind pointing me in the direction of the ICs that have both integrated?

Maybe something like this, which I saw some people talking about on MR way back when? Anything similar/better come out in the past 10 years that you know of?
That one is perfect to do this. There are a lot of them, the best way is to look on DigiKey (or others like Mouser or Farnell) and pick one that fits your needs better :)

BocuD

Portables
You could wire the headphone jack onto the ouput off your console directly and wire what is currently the speaker ouput to the amplifier in, and the amplifier out directly onto the speakers.