Worklog Yawp

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
Yet another Wii portable. :')

Howdy, just like most twelve year olds when I saw this I shat myself

This is what my portable is going to be based off of.
I would enjoy it if you all would shat your pants with my contest entry.
It's going to be a wii, inside a plastic case, with a 4:3 screen. I'm not sure if I'm going to use USB-C, but I'm definitely not going to use a ducks drive.

I had most of the outside done, but then I decided to re do it again, and that's where I am now. I'm hoping the fact I have finished High school I can pretty much devote my time to this, as per, I have no life.
upload_2020-4-13_9-22-29.png

I want to keep faithful for the most part to the concept art, but some things I have, or will have to tweaked.

good luck to all !

Portables
I hate hinges.

I've done like three revisions so far, the first one was meh, second one was really good, but too thicc, and didn't align properly, third one I got depressed on, fourth one is still a sketch. I went back to the second one and fixed it. It's pretty cool. I tried making it thin as I could, but I would need a new revision to make it thinner.
It's about 36mm so far, I want it thinner, but I think it's a pretty good size for what it is. the body is 20mm, and the head is 16mm. I will have to relocate the caps on the dalian good display, but it should fit just fine. (or do the no cap mod, cause who needs caps :^) )

It's probably gonna be a heck to print, but anything for hotness

I'm debating whether or not to print the buttons, I heard you can get good results from them, and then I can do a couple of cool things I had in mind, and if it doesn't work out, I could always just use joycon buttons

My birthday is coming up and I plan to get a 3d printer. My hope is to have it done by then, and then print out a prototype. and OMGWTF should fit, but I have to deviate a small bit from the og trim.

anywho, here's the pics.
upload_2020-5-3_10-39-41.png
upload_2020-5-3_10-40-17.png
upload_2020-5-3_10-42-48.png
I really hope I finish this, because I really enjoy it. All I have left to add are just buttons, ports, and make a slider thing for things. I've mostly focused on the hinge and insides, so it's time to switch gears I guess.

I've been thinking about adding buttons on top like in the original, and use them for screen controls, it'd be jank to use, but It'd be true to the render.

One question I do have, and I'm asking here instead of discord so I can hopefully reference to it later. what orientation do you guys put the hinge in? I have a slot for mine like this
upload_2020-5-3_10-48-31.png
I'm not sure how I should do it on the other side. I'd check the hinge I got it from, but it was from a while ago, and i can't find it anymore.

Portables
Honestly, even if you say its too thick I still think this thing looks amazing. as with any design you could always iterate forever but I think you are on the right track. always strive for perfection so even if you fall a bit short its still damn good. These clamshell designs are always some of my favorites. keep it up! you got this!

Portables
get ready for diisapointment...

I did not do what I said I was going to do, though tbh I think the only person disappointed me heh.

Tbh, having money and being able to buy stuff and break more stuff has made me realize I am not all that I make myself out to be. but! we all start somewhere. I've gone back to my portable I've been working on for atleast two years. It's still pretty hectic, but I think it's big enough to look nice, inside and out. I hope that the design on the outside atleast looks nice heh
1597118405870.png

1597118442935.png

It's a pretty simple design, but I think it still looks pretty nice. : )

So sorry for not making a clamshell, hopefully this will be almost as good.

Edit# I'm having it sent to be printed by someone with a good printer, I've done some test prints, and everything seems well enough.