Question Wii doesn't boot

Portables
Does your PMS output the correct voltages when not connected to the Wii? If yes, then there may be a short on the Wii, I’d recommend to check the resistance of each voltage location.
Also, the magnet wire for the power button does not look well soldered on, may want to redo that.

Last edited:
Does your PMS output the correct voltages when not connected to the Wii? If yes, then there may be a short on the Wii, I’d recommend to check the resistance of each voltage location.
Also, the magnet wire for the power button does not look well soldered on, may want to redo that.
I checked, and yes, the pms does output correct voltages. However, I don't actually have a push button for the power button; i just thought if "btn" is grounded, then it means on. Found out that it depends on what state the "btn" connection is when the battery is hooked up. This means my Wii was never receiving power in the first place, as i never removed the "btn" cord while it was hooked up. Looks like I'll have to get an actual switch button. As far as shorts are concerned, I think I need less coarse sandpaper. I only have up to 400, and I thought that was enough.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
The PMS defaults to shipping mode when batteries are disconnected, in this mode it will not turn on until a charge current is supplied. You'll need to give the PMS some 12v to the CHRG pad (with ground connected as well of course) to disable shipping mode, then the power button will work.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
The PMS defaults to shipping mode when batteries are disconnected, in this mode it will not turn on until a charge current is supplied. You'll need to give the PMS some 12v to the CHRG pad (with ground connected as well of course), then the power button will work.
I don't think this is correct. The PMS doesn't default to sihpping mode when batteries are disconnected/reconnected. I'm pretty sure the issue here is just that he wasn't using a real button to turn the PMS on and off, grounding the button pad forever like he did isn't enough.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Maybe it was just the old V1 PMS that did that, I dunno, but I'm pretty sure store PMS units are initially set to shipping mode for safety.