White Screen

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
I just bought a 5" back up can screen off of amazon. I wired it up to my n64 but all I get is a white screen when it's powered on.

My smaller 4.3 screen works just fine and I can get the audio from the n64 so I don't think it's the n64.

Any suggestions or do I need to get a new screen?

I can post pictures if needed.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Try putting a capacitor between the video out of the console and video in on the system. It doesn't matter if it's electrolytic or not, but if you use an electrolytic then the negative needs to go to the video out and the positive goes to the video in.
Also, yeah go ahead and post pictures, they always help.

JacksonS

Portables
Those LCDs show white by default if they're powered but not getting the correct signals from the driver board. It's not likely, but it's a possibility the driver board is damaged or the FFC cable is loose.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
I would try the screen with another console like the gamecube or Wii. I've had issues with N64s video out on cheap backup displays before. I had a 3.5" that accepted gamecube, Wii, ps3, and Xbox 360 composite, but not n64 composite.

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
Thanks all for the advice! I will try it when I get off of work today and post the results.

@cheese -- Does the amount of farads matter? I have a bunch of different rated ones.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
It'd probably be beneficial to try the other suggestions first, but sort of, it needs to be as low farads as possible

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
I tried everyone's suggestions and it seems to be a no-go. I think the either the driver board is damaged or it's not liking the n64 video signals. I don't have a gamecube or a wii to test it on, so I'll just save it for when I make a wii portable and test it then.

Thanks guys!

Bakuku

Portables
I remember that white screen is only power on the screen, but just the LEDs. Try adding more power to the screen

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
I've already tried that, I gave it 12v and I still didn't get anything.