Question What am I doing wrong?

image.jpg
I have trimmed a six layer board and I powered it but I am not getting any video out. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? (See pics)

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
You cut inside the lines. Don't do that. This board is dead because you cut through some of the RAM lines at the very least. Parts of your cut also look very rough, so even if you had cut around the lines you would likely still have shorts on your voltage layers.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
You should follow the lines outlined in the guide exactly.

EF924CD4-9E18-42A7-868F-C09F79A80EA8.jpeg
DE9D0D37-9774-4FBE-A6D4-4FB63E167077.jpeg
9282D0DF-575B-4DE4-83DD-81ED0ABC2B60.jpeg
I got a new Wii, trimmed it, and wired it up. Still not booting. I have a 5v power source bumped down to their allocated values and I don’t know what I am doing wrong. I am starting to loose hope in this project. Does anyone have advice/ corrections to what I did? Also, is the boot dependent on the thumb drive being plugged in? I have a few games that I put on it and tested to see if it was working before the trim and it was fine.

I got a new Wii, trimmed it, and wired it up. Still not booting. I have a 5v power source bumped down to their allocated values and I don’t know what I am doing wrong. I am starting to loose hope in this project. Does anyone have advice/ corrections to what I did? Also, is the boot dependent on the thumb drive being plugged in? I have a few games that I put on it and tested to see if it was working before the trim and it was fine.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
There are many things wrong here. Most obviously, given that this is a 6 layer board, you must connect the two 1.8v points together (see the 6 layer expansion trimming guide). Next, none of these wires on the back are going to fly. They are likely shorting with many things, you must pick up some magnet wire (34 or 38awg), certainly for things like the U10 relocation. A good solder joint should not require electrical tape to hold it in place. Additionally, it's a really bad idea to have floating soldering joints such as on your wires to the regulators. Use some heatshrink if you intend on soldering wires together. If you don't have a thumb drive in, you should short reset to ground and test if it will boot to priiloader. Without USB, it should still display a screen that says no USB after around 30 seconds. That said, the trim is probably fine. But your wiring needs some serious work.

upload_2020-4-22_15-23-35.png