USB data and start button questions

Hi, Im still working on my GBoy kit, and so far Ive gotten to the point where Im able to boot the trimmed board (yay!)
however I have a couple questions before I continue.

A) is the included start button supposed to have a membrane behind it? the button doesnt feel like you are pressing anything. was there supposed to be one in the kit or am i supposed to cut up a DSL start/select membrane or is this just how it is?

B) The console returns the no SD card error message even though I believe I have it wired properly. in the manual it shows two D+ and D- points on the wii board. am I supposed to run the D+ and D- from the USB C board to BOTH of the indicated pads, or is this just telling me I could do either one? I soldered to just one since thats what it looked like they were doing in the picture but I cant tell for sure.

Thanks

i went over the solder connections on the data vias and now with an SD inserted i no longer get the message. it does stay on the message "BBloader bootloader 00" now though so i cant tell if i was successful

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
Do you have any pictures of your work? To answer your questions:

A) The included start button is not meant to have any sort of membrane behind it. Rather than have very clickly tact switches, the start and Z buttons have a much softer feel. As long as you are feeling some sort of button press feeling, you are good to go. This can be verified in BBLoader later using the controller checker tool.

B) Have you verified that you soldered D+ and D- to their respective vias correctly? You only need to solder them to one set of vias, but you need to make sure that D+ goes to D+ and D- goes to D-, and not the other way around. Also, is your drive formatted to FAT32?

Again, pictures would help a lot!

Do you have any pictures of your work? To answer your questions:

A) The included start button is not meant to have any sort of membrane behind it. Rather than have very clickly tact switches, the start and Z buttons have a much softer feel. As long as you are feeling some sort of button press feeling, you are good to go. This can be verified in BBLoader later using the controller checker tool.

B) Have you verified that you soldered D+ and D- to their respective vias correctly? You only need to solder them to one set of vias, but you need to make sure that D+ goes to D+ and D- goes to D-, and not the other way around. Also, is your drive formatted to FAT32?

Again, pictures would help a lot!
I actually just posted pictures in a thread I just made in the Gboy work logs forum. I confirmed d+ and D- with a multimeter. The on screen behavior changed when I re flowed the connection so so maybe I just need to play with it a little more. The z button is fineness for me but start seems dead entirely.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I actually just posted pictures in a thread I just made in the Gboy work logs forum. I confirmed d+ and D- with a multimeter. The on screen behavior changed when I re flowed the connection so so maybe I just need to play with it a little more. The z button is fineness for me but start seems dead entirely.
Make sure there is a raised cylinder in the middle of the start button when you remove the support material, this is what is actuating the tact switch

Make sure there is a raised cylinder in the middle of the start button when you remove the support material, this is what is actuating the tact switch
I went back and picked off more plastic on the button and I can actually get a click now. Seems like the cylinder could stand to be a little taller on mine still but it does seem like an actually button now, thanks

after adding a small dab of plastic to the cylinder it works beautifully now. I was also able to solve my SD issues and the wii now boots into BBloader.
my issue now is the controller. I wired the front button pcb to the L/R buttons and the ground/3.3 to the power management board. the data line to the wii Ive rewired several times now but the button presses will not register.