Question U-AMP mod for WiiHUD Compatibility?

ScrambledFrequency

Custom title wanter
Portables
I am planning to do a Wii portable (a Louii clone, as its CAD files are available and I lack a 3D printer to test print my designs on).
However, I noticed it uses a WiiHUD audio amplifier by Aurelio, which are no longer available.
So I was wondering if I could somehow mod the U-AMP on BitBuilt, as I think it was done in a portable by Nold.
Thanks.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
You can still use the U-Amp in a Louii. I just have the screen control up/down buttons double as the volume control buttons as well.

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
I am planning to do a Wii portable (a Louii clone, as its CAD files are available and I lack a 3D printer to test print my designs on).
However, I noticed it uses a WiiHUD audio amplifier by Aurelio, which are no longer available.
So I was wondering if I could somehow mod the U-AMP on BitBuilt, as I think it was done in a portable by Nold.
Thanks.
Yes, it is possible to de-solder the microcontroller and solder the i2c/HP pins (SDA/SCL) directly to the Wii's GPIOs as is normally done with WiiHUD. BBLoader interface will act as the master instead of the PIC, allowing you to make volume adjustments using the button combinations.

There will be a WiiHUD compatible amplifier on the BB store very soon. I'd just wait for that rather than hacking up your current u-amp. It seems like a waste of a good amplifier to me.

Tron

How do you “have the screen control up/down buttons double as the volume control buttons as well”?

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Connect the screen controls lines to the volume control lines. It's a bit jank because cranking up the brightness also makes the volume really loud, but it works.

Tron

Got it. I thought you had a way to switch between the screen control and volume control.

ScrambledFrequency

Custom title wanter
Portables
There will be a WiiHUD compatible amplifier on the BB store very soon. I'd just wait for that rather than hacking up your current u-amp. It seems like a waste of a good amplifier to me.
How soon do you think?

ScrambledFrequency

Custom title wanter
Portables
Yes, but how soon? The reason I want to know is that I've ordered all my parts (except the RVL-PMS, as it is out of stock), and I would not want to wait a month for it.