Solved Trimming further beyond

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Holy crap man, I didn't think it could get taken farther at all than my recent trim. But that is a significant change. Did you desolder the RAM or just bend it over?

Damn shockslayer back at it again with the portable innovations. That is insane. Does it even still work. I cannot believe my eyes

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
Yep. 100% works! I have it sitting on my workbench ready to go, just need to get my fan in and then I'll be putting the heatsink on. I have a few ideas of what I might put this board in...( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Holy crap man, I didn't think it could get taken farther at all than my recent trim. But that is a significant change. Did you desolder the RAM or just bend it over?
I told you I'd show you how! :D Desoldered it, bent the pins down, resoldered it, then wired on the 8 required wires + 3.3v and GND(and the lil cap that sits between those two.) Believe it or not I tried using hot air to reconnect it and it didn't work, so I manually resoldered all of the pins and it booted right up! All the wiring was solid from the get go. Love this new wire. You could probably bend it, but I wouldn't recommend it if you've got access to hot air. However, the pins did seem to be pretty flexible.

Also shown is the wifi soldered directly to the nice vias. Hadn't tested it myself yet but now that I know it works, I'm gonna be adding it to the guide.

Additionally, since the Wii is getting smaller and a lot of techniques are coming to light, there may have to be an expansion to the guide to cover some of these new things.

ALSO. The "PortablizeMii Pack" is gonna be coming out hopefully by the end of this week, which will serve as a complete software solution for trimmed motherboards. It's mostly complete, we're tweaking it to be extra friendly and easy to set up. So hold tight for that as well.

Yep. 100% works! I have it sitting on my workbench ready to go, just need to get my fan in and then I'll be putting the heatsink on. I have a few ideas of what I might put this board in...( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I told you I'd show you how! :D Desoldered it, bent the pins down, resoldered it, then wired on the 8 required wires + 3.3v and GND(and the lil cap that sits between those two.) Believe it or not I tried using hot air to reconnect it and it didn't work, so I manually resoldered all of the pins and it booted right up! All the wiring was solid from the get go. Love this new wire. You could probably bend it, but I wouldn't recommend it if you've got access to hot air. However, the pins did seem to be pretty flexible.

Also shown is the wifi soldered directly to the nice vias. Hadn't tested it myself yet but now that I know it works, I'm gonna be adding it to the guide.

Additionally, since the Wii is getting smaller and a lot of techniques are coming to light, there may have to be an expansion to the guide to cover some of these new things.

ALSO. The "PortablizeMii Pack" is gonna be coming out hopefully by the end of this week, which will serve as a complete software solution for trimmed motherboards. It's mostly complete, we're tweaking it to be extra friendly and easy to set up. So hold tight for that as well.
Sounds great man you guys keep up the great work. I think it is great come up with all of these great ideas and innovations that most people only dream of. Then you take it and make it a reality no matter what gets in the way, and I think that is just amazing. So thanks again and keep right on with what you doing.

I was looking at the compendium images and theorizing about exactly this the other day... I even see a few areas it might be even smaller, assuming no voltage layers or anything get in the way (I'll have to look later)

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I was looking at the compendium images and theorizing about exactly this the other day... I even see a few areas it might be even smaller, assuming no voltage layers or anything get in the way (I'll have to look later)
Although it is possible to cut a tiny bit more off, it's already so small, most screen driver boards are larger than it, even 3.5" ones. Also, he cut pretty close to most of the outer traces, the only exception being the one corner with the doughnut hole by the video encoder and the bit by the nand. If you look at the image of the bottom, you can see most of the shape comes from those bottom traces.

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
Yep! There's still a little bit to gain by completely relocating the NAND(something I intend to do eventually) as well as in a few additional areas around the video encoder and the top and bottom.

I believe the theoretical maximum trim will have the wii's dimensions fit inside a GBC cart.
This image would support that theory:
20160425_132412.jpg

By the way, this trim is officially dubbed the LMAO trim.

Yep! There's still a little bit to gain by completely relocating the NAND(something I intend to do eventually) as well as in a few additional areas around the video encoder and the top and bottom.

I believe the theoretical maximum trim will have the wii's dimensions fit inside a GBC cart.
This image would support that theory:View attachment 322

By the way, this trim is officially dubbed the LMAO trim.
Assuming the NAND is emmc, it should be 7 or 8 wires to relocate (the rest of the connections are unused data lines and lots and lots of ground (for support mainly))

EDIT: well, looks like that component you bent over IS the NAND, the other thing is actually the RAM

Last edited:

Shank

Staff member
Portables
I never would have thought of folding the NAND and laying it face down. Wow.

Does this mean the NAND could be... dare I say it... Relocated?

I never would have thought of folding the NAND and laying it face down. Wow.

Does this mean the NAND could be... dare I say it... Relocated?
I'm betting it could, and I'm trying to look at the compendium images on your super thread but I keep getting an error when clicking on the spoilers :(

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
The compendium is so much better if you set up your own so you can draw all over it and get a feel for the board without messing one up. Mine's an absolute mess, but I know where everything is.

The entire NAND can be relocated. What I did is 8 wires + 3.3v and GND(and the cap,) but doing the other side is an additional 10. You don't gain more than 3mm of usable space in either direction though, and there's no guarantee it'll work with potentially more changes in trace length. So I figure the most reliable and logical solution is to do a "bend."

There's more relocation potential on other sides of the board...( ͠° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Shank

Staff member
Portables
The compendium is so much better if you set up your own so you can draw all over it and get a feel for the board without messing one up.
This for sure. Use the compendium. My images are not intended to replace the compendium, they are just a collection of ones I kept going back to and found useful. Use the compendium. It makes everything so much easier.