Worklog The "Party Box" Wii portable

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Ferrite beads on each of the colour lines seems to have pretty much eliminated the noise issues on the external video output.

I'm STILL waiting for the screen to arrive but was getting itchy feet, so I finalised the top piece and mounted it. My only hope is that I left enough room for the panel and control board on the final piece between the base and lid.
IMG_20200514_065554.JPG
IMG_20200514_065517.JPG

For the wiring of the screen I've decided to use a flat CAT7 cable as it has 8 out of the 7 wires required, it's shielded and will be hard-wearing.

IMG_20200514_065314.jpg

IMG_20200514_065429.JPG

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
This reminds me of the old benheck portables but a lot sexier...
even the wire looks hot lol

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Considering how clean the wiring is, a semi-transparent top piece would look really awesome to see a bit of the internals :)
I would love to do the cover as clear acrylic but unfortunately I don't have a laser cutter. Maybe sometime in the future I can implement that on an updated design or a similar project.

If this turns out well enough I'll probably do the same with a Dreamcast.

This reminds me of the old benheck portables but a lot sexier...
even the wire looks hot lol
Thanks! that's a bigger complement than you probably intended.

Hi, this project looks awesome! I like the idea of having a vga port instead of a bad wii2HDMI.
I'm looking for a good 7" IPS screen, can I ask you which one you have ordered?
I have trouble finding a good IPS with VGA.

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Hi, this project looks awesome! I like the idea of having a vga port instead of a bad wii2HDMI.
I'm looking for a good 7" IPS screen, can I ask you which one you have ordered?
I have trouble finding a good IPS with VGA.
I ordered this: https://www.sunfounder.com/7-inch-hdmi-lcd.html

It's pretty pricey but viewing angles were important for this build. It hasn't arrived yet so I can't comment on quality but I'll let you know my thoughts once it has.

Thanks for the answer. I'm waiting for the review, it would be nice to have thought of new screen people are trying, since the ones in the bom are becoming to be hard to find.

It's quite pricy, but one could go really high, I'm watching the dslr camera screens and it goes for hundreds of dollars.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Currently it's better to use the VGA patch and ditch component and HDMI. The few component screens we had are getting more expensive and harder to find, and HDMI is kinda eh.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I know, I tried to reply to Emetsys but apparently the forum said no

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
So the screen has finally arrived, and I am EXTREMELY pleased with the results. Paying an extra $50 over most other 7" panels and waiting 5+ weeks gets a panel that is extremely sharp, vibrant and has amazing viewing angles.

IMG_20200526_174639.jpg
IMG_20200526_174643.jpg
IMG_20200526_174651.jpg
IMG_20200526_174700.jpg
IMG_20200526_174707.jpg

^ Wesk knee...

Thank you for the pictures, the viewing angle are amazing. Could you please tell the panel reference when you disassemble it?

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Thank you for the pictures, the viewing angle are amazing. Could you please tell the panel reference when you disassemble it?
This is the only identifying information on the panel:
IMG_20200527_072740.JPG

I did a little bit of poking around on the control board last night and it looks like it will easily run on 3.3v with the removal of a single LDO.
Sunfounder pinout.jpg

I have yet to test though so I will verify sometime this week.

I did finalize the screen portion of the lid and it all fits well. I will however need to remove all of the taller capacitors, power jack, usb and video input connectors on the control board for it to all fit as I only have about 5mm of height to use.
IMG_20200527_063101.jpg

Last edited:

Bob

This looks so awesome! If I ever build a portable, I want to make something like this. Also I love the vlog format.

Do you have enough room to do speakers in the base instead? Up near the screen, so the sound kinda reflects off it, like many laptops. That'd save you from needing to run more wires past the hinge.

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
This looks so awesome! If I ever build a portable, I want to make something like this. Also I love the vlog format.

Do you have enough room to do speakers in the base instead? Up near the screen, so the sound kinda reflects off it, like many laptops. That'd save you from needing to run more wires past the hinge.
There isn't much space left in the main unit but with some modifications I could maybe fit speakers there. I'll give it a go.

Unbelievable craftsmanship. Really liking metal hinges and the letter fill. Sets it to the next level. Do wavebird dongles fit in the controller port without making the console sit a little proud?

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Unbelievable craftsmanship. Really liking metal hinges and the letter fill. Sets it to the next level. Do wavebird dongles fit in the controller port without making the console sit a little proud?
Thanks for the kind words, and good question!. In the original case wavebird dongle's do sit a little lower than the case (causing the case to lean ever so slightly).

On the second model however I've adjusted the feet to be an extra couple mm taller which allows the wavebird dongles to sit flush with whatever surface it's placed on.

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member