Worklog The Briick (Summer 2020 Building Competition)

Hello! I'm somewhat new to the portablizing scene, but I have been doing electronics for a few years now. I decided I wanted to do a big project since I have a lot of time during this lockdown. I found myself a 4 layer board, and started planning! I drew up a plan, which is here.
IMG_2629.PNG

My handwriting is a little messy, but the basic idea is a little box that you can take with you anywhere. It is kinda like Wesk's fun cube or whatever it's called, but one of the gimmicks is that you can stick it on the back of a GC controller and have a screen like this.
google-stadia-rs_3.jpg

I don't intend to relocate the MX, WiFi, or GameCube memory slots, because I want to make it as easy as possible without skimping on the main elements. I haven't gotten PortablizeMii on my Wii because it isn't showing up in the homebrew channel. I am trying to figure this problem out, but it simply is just not showing up in the homebrew channel. I also am slightly worried about a few things and don't understand a few things, so I have a few questions.

Question 1: Are there any video references or guides showing the trim being done? I am unsure on cutting the Wii because it seems dangerous to cut a motherboard because it's fiberglass.

Question 2: If I relocate the Wii Audio and Video, will I be able to get a normal AV signal with the plugs so I could just plug it in to AV on a screen?

Question 3: What regulators should I use? I was thinking I would use the regulators off the BitBuilt store, but I did not buy them because I wasn't sure if that would break the no commissions rule of the competition.

Question 4: What are all the non-wii parts that I should add to the build? I don't think I'll have a headphone jack, so I don't think I need an amp. I also will have all the the GC controller and screen, so I don't think that I need a GC+. The USB-C charging PCB looks nice, but I don't really know if I want to do extra soldering if I can.

Question 5: What fan/cooling system should I use? I'm guessing that I should use a copper plate in combination with the sliced heatsink from the Wii and a fan.

I might ask more questions later, but that is all I have for now. Thank you for your help!

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Q1 - I don't think there are any good videos right now that shows the trim being done. Safety wise, as long as you wear safety glasses/goggles and don't cut super close to your fingers you should be fine. Definitely cut outdoors as the dust is less than healthy.

Q2 - Yes, you can output video with the standard signals just like you would with a built in screen. You will need a way to switch video between your screen and an external source, though you can easily implement that with just a switch if you use composite.

Q3 - Using products from the BitBuilt store is allowed. The rules regarding commission work are more for the design aspects of the build. Nobody can design your case for you or trim a Wii for you, but somebody could use their 3D printer to print the case you designed if that makes sense.

Q4 - I would look through other worklogs for ideas on parts you'll need. You'll need stuff for an audio system even if you don't have headphones, batteries, a cooling setup, various tacts, etc.

Q5 - There's a really good cooling kit on the BitBuilt store that is used in other builds, like the G-Wii and Louii. It does an excellent job, and it's cheaper to buy the kit from the BitBuilt store than all of the parts individually.

This design looks pretty neat! I'm interested to see how it turns out.

I purchased the stores u amp, cooling kit and pms and can say they're worth the money
If you dont want a headphone jack the pam8803 works well.