Worklog The 3DS Pro

Portables
Why?:
The 3DS held many of my favorite memories and I was all the more excited when the switch was announced. I loved the designs of all the 3DS consoles, so I think it's time to pay my respects to its death. Nintendo phased out the 3DS line, and the last iteration was the New 2DS XL. The case is based on a "what if" Nintendo released a new 3DS in the current day! This console will not be able to run 3DS games but will have the Wii and Gamecube library up for grabs. Along with a bunch of others, like N64, GBA, etc.

I present to you the concept models for my submission to the Summer 2020 BitBuild Contest.......

~~~THE 3DS PRO~~~
3DS PRO 2.png
3DS PRO.png
As for dimensions, the 3DS Pro will be slightly bigger than the 3DS XL you see today.
Components:

• IPS 7inch Display using VGA input. (big boi display)
  • GC+ 2.0
  • RVL-PMS
  • U-AMP
  • Dual-Tacts
  • 3DS sliders
  • 3DS XL hinge
  • Other various things
"Touch Screen:"
The biggest idea I had for the DSii (previous project) will come into play here, which is having the bottom screen function as a control center for the volume, display settings, and power. I've looked at capacitive buttons, but I may stick with the idea of having a toy phone-like interface.
The design you see above is not finished, so it may end up a lil different, so you'll probably want to keep coming back to check this log (;

Customized:
When I am finished with the case, I will work on making a custom theme for PortabilizeMii to fit the 3DS menu art style. Once I am done making everything, I will make it all public so anyone can use its assets or try to make their own!
I was gonna name this the 3DS XL PRO, but eh, sounds too long.

LEAVE ANY ADVICE, QUESTIONS, ANSWERS BELOW!

Last edited:

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
Glad to see you’ve brought this project back! The idea is great, I hope you can execute it.

Looks really neat, I also love the 3DS/2DS design. But do you think the original hinges will be strong enough considering the increase in weight? You may wanna switch to laptop hinges, which are designed for heavier displays.

Portables
Wouldn't you need to make your own software for the bottom screen?
It won’t be running a real screen, it’ll have a fake screen with a high Rez sticker of custom 3ds UI that has tact buttons underneath so you push and click buttons! I wish I could fit something that would have a touch screen etc.
Looks really neat, I also love the 3DS/2DS design. But do you think the original hinges will be strong enough considering the increase in weight? You may wanna switch to laptop hinges, which are designed for heavier displays.
The screen is not very heavy, but I’ll be testing the hinge soon just to be safe. That’s a good concern that I didn’t think of, thanks!