Worklog Swiitching Steam

Portables
Here is my 2020 summer contest entry:

so what if you had this:

and added this:

well i present to you...

a not working system :(
So here is my attempt of trying to make it work

Ever since watching the steam controller release trailer i was hooked on it, i bought it 4 years ago and its still one of my most favorite controllers to date, the touch pads make a perfect controller that sits right between a keyboard and mouse in terms of precision, but still having the comfort of a controller. Sadly there is only 1 big downside to the steam controller, it only works when steam is running, without the steam process running in the background its virtually useless. My controller has been used a lot with the steam link app on android, this app allows you to run your favorite pc games and stream them to mobile, with this and the controller hooked up to my phone, i have completed BOTW with streaming CEMU over it. So i've always wanted to make a more comfortable way to play my games with this controller in the house that isn't behind my desk so here is my attempt in making a more comfortable way to play steam games in my house.

List of features i hopefully can get inside of it:
  1. Steam controller taken apart and re-used, and hopefully somehow getting it to work on the Wii too
  2. Raspberry pi 4 inside for steam link app
  3. Wii inside for Wii / GameCube games
  4. Joycon like controllers, so i can switch out my steam controls with normal joystick, the pads are nice but some games don't work nice, so i can choose on which i can use. Which is also my backup plan in case i cant get the steam controller to work with the Wii (which i'm fairly certain of but willing to give it a shot)
  5. 6"2 screen which can switch between hdmi for the pi and vga for the Wii
With that said here is my current design:
upload_2020-4-15_23-52-13.png

I want it to look like a switch but i have yet to design a way to make the 'joycons' slide and connect on the main unit, not sure how i am gonna do it yet, but thinking of using molex connector where it will slide in.

I still have a lot to do with it cad design, mostly the steam controller part and all of the inside. Valve luckily released the cad files of the steam controller, sadly its only really big like 700mb, and i am not experienced enough to really work with it, fusion is slow opening it with my beefy pc even. but we will see what we can make out of it once i order my printer

My todo list for now is making the Pi work on less power, currently it requires the 5v 3a charger which is a bit beefy, after that i am gonna work on seeing what we can do with the steam controller, and what its gonna take to make it work on the Wii. Thank you all for reading so far and more updates to follow after a couple weeks ( got final exams to make X)

Also small fun fact, i think we currently have 3 dutchies in the 2020 summer contest, so i guess we could say G E K O L O N I S E E R D

Last edited:
Nice! You can actually buy replacement switch slider rails, might be a cool way of doing your "joycons". I considered it for my project but I think for now it's a bit advanced and I'll save it for another one.

Portables
welp i havent updated this in forever, and probably wont in like anytime soon, but since contest ends tommorow i wanted to update it.

i went over many revision but i coudnt get a nice way to combine both parts of the case to one, especially since my printer didnt work nice with me either, so we gave up on the big device and went for something smaller, so with gboy inspired, but me wanting to still play pc games i went for a Steamboy,while still housing a SBC that could play some pc games but didnt draw so much power that i coudnt run it off 2 18650's.

After long quest i found a 'cheap' intel compute stick, strong enough to run games like cuphead @720p 60fps, and its so small it just fits right in a DMG styled gameboy dimensions, with 2 18650's next to it on either side. I made a full cad case for it already, but it has flaws, and the flaws mainly come from not being able to test anything with my printer, im not sure what the problem is but it wont print anything really, everything fails. shoulda listened to bocu i guess and bought a prusa.

so i can see you asking, why didn't finish it if you got everything covered even with flaws? well mostly time, i have been working 40 hour weeks snd my time off has been spend in the gym or at my appartament for next year, gonna follow EE, and loads had to be done for it, since the study is a 2.5hour train ride from my home. I can show pictures of it allowed on here? but to make a long story short,i could have finished it if hot glued all flaws but i didnt think it was worth it, would rather spend the time fixing it, once i have it.

Thanks for all bitbuilt admins tho for hosting and everyone for joining, will come back stronger next year ;d
IMG_20200827_114125.jpg