Ripped Solder Pad on Display Board at C147, Am I Hosed?

Welp, finished up soldering power to the display board, soldered the ground wire from the appropriate ground pad on RVL-PMS to C147 on the display board. Powered the G-Boy on because I was curious and all that happened was a very brief flicker of the backlight on the screen and nothing else. Thought maybe it was because there was no input, went about my merry way soldering the rgb led. As I was moving the G-Boy at one point, I looked and, well, the ground wire was suspended in mid air with the solder blob and most of the pad attached. There was a tiny sliver of metal left where the solder pad was but the cap had nothing left on that side. So, with trying to get creative since I didn't have SMD caps and the original was shot, I de-soldered C118 from Wii mobo remnants. Dumped enough solder to connect the tiny sliver of remaining solder pad to the cap. Checked continuity between one of the screw mount ground pads on the display board and the USB port shield on the USB board and got a beep so ground seems to be continuous between all three boards. Positive side of the cap is continuous with the 5v pad. Powered on the G-Boy, confirmed the LED worked, and got the same backlight flicker from before. So, question is, am I totally hosed and need to either try to properly repair it or buy a new display, or is that brief display backlight flicker expected at this point? Tried plugging in the control board for the display and pressing the power button, it just gives me that brief display flicker, doesn't respond to the other buttons. Getting 5v at the positive side of the cap when it's powered on. Things seeeeeem nominal on the board otherwise, all things considered. Attached a pic and a link to short vid of the backlight flicker. Other tests I could do maybe? Appreciate any guidance!

Attachments

Gotcha. Just to check, I'd be removing some of the solder mask there and then soldering the ground wire and the negative side of the cap to the newly exposed area, sorta blobbing it over?

@Wesk I think that pretty much did the trick re: that cap. Included a pic. LCD backlight still just flickers once when I turn the machine on but when I power down, the LCD panel has that... how to describe... that sort of power down wave look made by the liquid crystals losing charge when a screen is turned off. I think I might be good? As long as what I'm seeing is expected. Tried plugging the control board in and pressing power, menu; nada.

Attachments

Gotcha. I'll begin wiring up the trimmed Wii mobo tomorrow. Question though, could I use the included composite adapter to plug a composite video signal in to test it? Thanks for your help!!!!!!

Tried plugging in an SNES and an N64 into the composite video through the included wire harness. Didn't get anything to show on the display from either. Pressing the source button just makes the backlight flicker once just like when it first powers on. Figured that means either:

a) even though that wire harness is included, it doesn't work by just plugging it into the board and connecting a yellow composite RCA plug in (there's a power barrel jack on that same harness, maybe you need a 12v power supply plugged into that to make it function)
b) both the SNES and N64 have been sitting in a cabinet for a while and I just grabbed the first two games in my collection. Maybe there's tarnish on the cart connections or some other variable associated with old consoles and neither booted (didn't blow on the carts, lol). Don't currently have access to another display with composite in to check that the consoles were working.
c) they're working and the display should have powered on and shown the video signal.

Any other troubleshooting tips or feedback would be appreciated! Either way, have a date with a Dremel tomorrow...

Last edited:

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
The backlight flicker is normal, probably no video source on the screen. Test it with known working video source.

@Gman @Wesk tried VGA from a laptop I have, but was just getting a white screen. Looked in it's display preferences and 800x600 was the lowest selectable resolution there so figured that was the problem. Did more digging, found my Wii composite cable, plugged in a different Wii and bingo, display is fine. Thanks for the help!

Attachments