Question Rerouting button input on Wee 2T

Kitsen

Portables
do tupper-stein count?
Hi guys,

Long time not posted, I was lurking about and I'm amazed how far we have gotten in the last year.

Those praises have nothing to do with my question but they needed to be expressed.

I'm working on a project that is a mutation of my previous ambition to make a custom android controller.

instead, being on a budget, I decided to modify a controller I already liked.

Thus came the Wee 2t, it's a nice little beast but one issue; the stick are not clicky and I do like my clicky stick when playing PC games remotely.
They instead provide a Z and a C button which acts as L3 (C) and R3 (Z), the home button also acts as an L3 when tested with a gamepad tester (it's an odd beast)

So far I was able to make the L3 work, it used a standard button config (everyone to ground!) so the process was simply find the test point and wiring it to a Joycon joystick compatible clamp and stashing it in the shell, I honestly did very well and i'm quite pleased with the result!

Now i'm moving on the R3 and it seems to be a different button array,the Z button A button and the R2 button all gets activated when I connect the test point 22 to ground (same thing when I test with the "dot" no 85)

I don't know if anyone encountered a similar button array in the past and if so how to they work?

thank you

Kitsen

Portables
do tupper-stein count?
So I did more tests and I found the most peculiar thing, and I guess it's because my electronic knowledge is low but here it is.

I read the github reverse engineering of the switch by DekuNukem because the button reminds me a lot of the joy-cons one and I learn that the joy-cons button's works like a keyboard.

Not knowing how keyboard works I read about them I saw the difference between keys and button (row ad column being translated to keystrokes by the microcontroller)

Very interesting stuff so I got back to my multimeter and tested more points to find the row/column of my Z button and I found that if I read the DC voltage between test points 22 and 12 I get the R3 button to activate! I feel I'm getting closer but I would need someone to clarify why is that when I read the voltage between test points 12 and 22, I get R3 activated but when I read the resistance between the two points then I get R3 A R2 and Left activated? Is it because 22 and 12 get grounded at the same time it equals the pressing of the button?

I'm at a bit of loss and until I understand that I won't be able to progress.

Thank you for your time,

Hello,
I don't know if I understood correctly, but first of all, do not measure the resistance between 2 point while powered. It have to put some power in to measure the resistance, so my guess is that maybe you are triggering things with that power.

I don't really see the need for an array with that much buttons but if it is the case, it will cause some issue since the click of the joycon stick goes to ground.
If it is not the case, you would need to find the point that is not the ground directly connected to the switch, maybe it will be a via, maybe you will need to scratch the solder mask.

I also do not know if the joycons stick have the same range as the original joystick, so this might cause some issues in the future.

This is an interesting project, I don't want to discourage you, but for example the ipega 9087 have clicky buttons.
If you want to do a complete custom one, there are some possibilities with an arduino I guess.

Last edited:

Kitsen

Portables
do tupper-stein count?
I already changed the first stick so far range wasn't an issue (thankfully)
I did have an ipega before but the stick weren't great, (also i much prefer the flydigi software to octopus)

unfortunately it is a grid, (probably to use a smaller microprocessor)
For now the plan is on a slight hold until i learn how to program/get a picaxe, its purpose will be to bridge point 22 and 12 when the stick is clicked.

thank you for your input thought :)

Well, then you could use a mosfet relay, it would be easier, sorry to not have think of it.
Something like this one, you would need 5V however. There are also ones working out of 3.3V since it's the other standard voltage.

You would most likely just need to connect a vcc to the + pin control and the joycon stick click output to the - control pin. Maybe some pull up of some sort would be needed.

Kitsen

Portables
do tupper-stein count?
Maybe I'm not experienced enough but i'm not quite sure I understand what you mean/or if it'll work

I like the idea of making it simpler though, would you mean explaining further how you would go about this?

thank you for your suggestion i'm all about making my life easier!

Kitsen

Portables
do tupper-stein count?
Just to be 100% sure, you mean I should wire it like this?
wiring.JPG

Kitsen

Portables
do tupper-stein count?
Great! thank you very much for all your help.

i'll order the parts and get to testing soon, cheers!