PS2 emulation inside a PSP 2001 ??

Hello everyone! I decided to make a thread about this topic cause I didn't want to infest other threads bout it like a parasite so here I am XD.As of late, i've gotten into coding with the Arduino and visual studios and I wanted to challenge myself with console modding. It was always a dream of mine since I was a kid to play games like GTA san andreas on the PSP. My friend told me to come here and look around to learn about modding. All of the projects that I've seen here blew my mind beyond comprehension. It was amazing to see all of these old consoles either get resurrected or upgraded like crazy; it gave me some motivation that this project may be possible, now let me tell you my idea for it.

My idea is that I want to shove an emulator inside a PSP 2001 model. The mother board from that PSP died a while ago so my idea was to find another micro computer that is capable of emulating games from the PS2 and others systems( but for now my first task is JUST THE PS2). I already have a list of changes that I need done

Different Battery source than the original PSP2001( I already have some things in mind for that)
Different LED screen than the original PSP2001 ( I do not want to make any drastic changes to the shell of the system so It would be preferrable if the screen would fit)
removal of the UMD disc system and replacing it with a card reader that will read SD cards with the roms inside of them
replace 1 bumper on each side with 2 ( it'll resemble the NEW 3ds bumpers in that regard)
Adding a right joystick to the PSP 2001 model
Since the Motherboard is dead, Discard it and replace it with another microcomputer that is capable of preforming these tasks.

Here is the PSP with all of parts in the LEGO bin ( If you have any questions on the parts, feel free to comment on it)

20201003_152044.jpg 20201003_152057.jpg 20201003_152105.jpg

I've seen amazing things done on these threads that I could not imagine to be possible. Although I haven't seen much of the PSP on these threads and I'm not sure why. I want to challenge myself with this. The only issue is that I'm very inexperienced with this sort of stuff and I'm not sure what the limits are with these processors or computers but I do want to learn how to do all of this and make this beast a reality. If anyone is interested in this idea, please feel free to comment any questions you have regarding this topic and I will be more than willing to reply. Thank you all and I hope to hear from you all soon.

EDIT: I have look into it further and it seems that the only way for this to work is to shove a PS2 in the system as there is currently no SBCs that can run PS2 sadly. So if I cant trim a PS2 to fit inside, then Ill wait until more powerful SBCs come out

Last edited:

A_s6

Portables
i don’t give a hee ho
Hello everyone! I decided to make a thread about this topic cause I didn't want to infest other threads bout it like a parasite so here I am XD.As of late, i've gotten into coding with the Arduino and visual studios and I wanted to challenge myself with console modding. It was always a dream of mine since I was a kid to play games like GTA san andreas on the PSP. My friend told me to come here and look around to learn about modding. All of the projects that I've seen here blew my mind beyond comprehension. It was amazing to see all of these old consoles either get resurrected or upgraded like crazy; it gave me some motivation that this project may be possible, now let me tell you my idea for it.

My idea is that I want to shove an emulator inside a PSP 2001 model. The mother board from that PSP died a while ago so my idea was to find another micro computer that is capable of emulating games from the PS2 and others systems( but for now my first task is JUST THE PS2). I already have a list of changes that I need done

Different Battery source than the original PSP2001( I already have some things in mind for that)
Different LED screen than the original PSP2001 ( I do not want to make any drastic changes to the shell of the system so It would be preferrable if the screen would fit)
removal of the UMD disc system and replacing it with a card reader that will read SD cards with the roms inside of them
replace 1 bumper on each side with 2 ( it'll resemble the NEW 3ds bumpers in that regard)
Adding a right joystick to the PSP 2001 model
Since the Motherboard is dead, Discard it and replace it with another microcomputer that is capable of preforming these tasks.

Here is the PSP with all of parts in the LEGO bin ( If you have any questions on the parts, feel free to comment on it)

View attachment 14430 View attachment 14428 View attachment 14429

I've seen amazing things done on these threads that I could not imagine to be possible. Although I haven't seen much of the PSP on these threads and I'm not sure why. I want to challenge myself with this. The only issue is that I'm very inexperienced with this sort of stuff and I'm not sure what the limits are with these processors or computers but I do want to learn how to do all of this and make this beast a reality. If anyone is interested in this idea, please feel free to comment any questions you have regarding this topic and I will be more than willing to reply. Thank you all and I hope to hear from you all soon.
i’m pretty sure mosts sbcs can’t emulate the ps2 yet, and the ones that can are too big to fit in a psp

EDIT: i do remember seeing somewhere that a trimmed ps2 can fit in a psp, but the case would probably require case modifications

Last edited:
i’m pretty sure mosts sbcs can’t emulate the ps2 yet, and the ones that can are too big to fit in a psp

EDIT: i do remember seeing somewhere that a trimmed ps2 can fit in a psp, but the case would probably require case modifications
Dang, OK. Do you know where I could go to learn PS2 trimming?? and if possible, some SBCs you think could work for this task?

A_s6

Portables
i don’t give a hee ho
ps2 trim guide is in the ps2 section of the guide hub here on the bitbuilt forums, and i think that the udoo bolt is currently the only sbc that can run ps2 games but i may be wrong

Dmcke5

2020 1st Place Winner
Portables
The only readily available SBC computer I've found so far that can emulate ps2 is the lattepanda alpha. Even then it will struggle with most games, it will really only play the less intensive ones. It's a bit larger than a PSP on its own, by the time you include enough of a battery to keep it running for more than 5 minutes it'll probably be about twice the size.

The best option for portable PS2 is a definitely a trimmed console, so I'd go down that route personally!

The only readily available SBC computer I've found so far that can emulate ps2 is the lattepanda alpha. Even then it will struggle with most games, it will really only play the less intensive ones. It's a bit larger than a PSP on its own, by the time you include enough of a battery to keep it running for more than 5 minutes it'll probably be about twice the size.

The best option for portable PS2 is a definitely a trimmed console, so I'd go down that route personally!
Alrighty, I think it is best that I do trim the PS2. its possible that the motherboard can fit inside the PSP if I rewire to so there's less distance between each chip; thanks for the advice! Also, do you have any recommendations on where I can buy functional PS2 slim motherboard?( some of the stories I've read about people opening up dead consoles and finding bugs in them is a little nasty imo)

Dmcke5

2020 1st Place Winner
Portables
Alrighty, I think it is best that I do trim the PS2. its possible that the motherboard can fit inside the PSP if I rewire to so there's less distance between each chip; thanks for the advice! Also, do you have any recommendations on where I can buy functional PS2 slim motherboard?( some of the stories I've read about people opening up dead consoles and finding bugs in them is a little nasty imo)
I'd probably just look for a whole console. Just check Facebook marketplace, eBay etc and see what you can find. You're looking for a PS2 slim I believe. Check the trimming guide first to ensure you're getting the correct version.

ps2 trim guide is in the ps2 section of the guide hub here on the bitbuilt forums, and i think that the udoo bolt is currently the only sbc that can run ps2 games but i may be wrong
Awesome, thank you for the help!