Project 15: Portable N64 finally complete!

Downing

Basement Owner
Portables
20ish...

Sorry it's taken so long to get a post up over here about this. It's been a busy few days but I had an unexpected day off so I'm catching up on all kinds of stuff (mostly laundry and dishes).

But that said, the video above represents almost 2 years of a commission process with a failure that was probably the hardest pill I've ever had to swallow. But because of this, it turned into probably one of the best projects I've ever completed.

Though the story I'm sure is already known, the original portable that was called (The Golden 64) was looking absolutely beautiful and was just about to be closed up and completed.

20190713_215014.jpg

And as I picked it up, I saw this! Thousands of hairline fractures in the paint UNDER the clear coat. It had been fully painted and fine for over 2 weeks, and then over night...THAT!

N64 Paint Fail.jpg

So, after talking with the customer, it just made more sense to start over from scratch. This unit was then stripped down to the very basics and sold off under the new title of "The iSore 64"

So there was a lot of down time in between this as not only was I starting from scratch again, but I also had sold my Form 2 to Gman because I had just bought a Form 3 which was supposed to be shipped in mid July. So when mid October finally rolled around the printer finally arrived, I was able to go back to work. So fast forward 9 months and here we are today!

20200516_204756.jpg

It was still a slow process as real life has been absolutely crazy in every way, but I'm very pleased with the finished result. And not with just how the finish came out, but also for the new improvements inside with the flex cable cart slot and junction boards.

20200428_181806.jpg

20200531_115248.jpg

I know it's not as advanced as what's going on over here these days, but it suited the purpose.

I'm also extremely proud of the video that I made for this project as well. I've never put that kind of thought, time and effort into a video before, but I gotta say it was a lot of fun to watch it develop!

Now just one more project to button up! Until then, thanks for checking this out!

Love it man. Trying to work on my first portable ever right now and of course it's a N64. Great work and big fan!

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
on one hand the different speaker grills kind of kill me. But on the other hand it just fits together so well that it doesn't even matter.
I absolutely love it 8D

Downing

Basement Owner
Portables
20ish...
on one hand the different speaker grills kind of kill me. But on the other hand it just fits together so well that it doesn't even matter.
I absolutely love it 8D
Not gonna lie, I was on the fence about that too but I just couldn't see putting two of the same covers with everything else being unique. But it seemed to work and I'm glad you like it!

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
I have used Rustoleum gold and it can get that EXACT same look if you clear coat over it. It says clear coat not recommended on my can, no idea what causes it to react with clear coat haha. This looks beautiful though!

Downing

Basement Owner
Portables
20ish...
I have used Rustoleum gold and it can get that EXACT same look if you clear coat over it. It says clear coat not recommended on my can, no idea what causes it to react with clear coat haha. This looks beautiful though!
Yeah, I went through two different brands at that and one wouldn't even adhere to the primer below it. That could have been a factor too, I dunno, but I'm never using it again. It's just with this one it took two weeks for it to happen and then just overnight....WTF...