Portablizing BOM

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I found myself ordering many of the same parts over and over so I compiled everything into a google docs a while ago for personal use. I shared it with a few friends and it seems to have some value. I converted it into spreadsheet form to share with everyone. I will probably update it from time to time as new parts are discovered. I'm hesitant to add ebay links in there but the sellers I linked have a large quantity available and have been relisting the items.

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
This is really helpful. Thanks!

Portables
Is this thread something you would want members to post links for things they find that you could then add to you list? I'm sure you don't want to clutter it up with more obscure items, but it seems like it would be a great tool for everyone to have.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Is this thread something you would want members to post links for things they find that you could then add to you list? I'm sure you don't want to clutter it up with more obscure items, but it seems like it would be a great tool for everyone to have.
Absolutely, that is a good idea. If anyone has a link to a part/source that they think is of value, they can post it here. No promises it will be added to the spreadsheet to not clutter it like you mentioned.

Portables
That sounds great. Even if it doesn't get added, if someone wanted to browse the thread for that particular thing the link would still be posted. You should throw that addition into the OP so people will know to post links.

Portables
So I found another TFT display, this one displays 800x480. link -> Amazon.com $25 free shipping.

looks like your typical tft car backup monitor.

When I receive it I will pop it open to see how large the driver board is but it may make a good higher def display for portables.

Also worth a note, I received a package from OKW Enclosures today with a free sample of one of there cases. They do note that they usually "normally only send one sample of each enclosure". Though the regular price is up there a bit, they do have very high quality enclosures with some other variety compared to Polycase.

The one I ordered was the Interface terminal style:

with a cover for the hole in the back.

I'm going to try and get as many free samples as I can get of a bunch of different enclosures. If they look promising I may make a video of them to give everyone an idea of what they're like.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I've seen that screen before although I passed it off as false advertising considering it looks just like the other 5" backup screens. It could be promising, who knows. I'd like to try it out myself at some point to see what it actually is.

pengy

Anyone ever used an RC low battery indicator before? Seems like a pretty easy way to add that functionality to a portable.

Portables
Portables
I believe the ones in the list already were located in Florida. At <$5 a battery it's not a bad gamble to take imo

pengy

I'm with shank, I'd rather pay the extra literally $2 per cell to get us shipping, us customer support, and a trusted buy. Still, a good find for the budget minded who don't mind waiting :)

YveltalGriffin

First Wii U Trimmer
Portables
Anyone ever used an RC low battery indicator before? Seems like a pretty easy way to add that functionality to a portable.
That drone thing has an alarm buzzer on it. If it's made for drones, I imagine it's pretty dang loud when it goes off. Perhaps check the voltage across the buzzers and replace them with a red led if possible?

pengy

That drone thing has an alarm buzzer on it. If it's made for drones, I imagine it's pretty dang loud when it goes off. Perhaps check the voltage across the buzzers and replace them with a red led if possible?
Oh it's Loud as shit. But you can just take it off. It has a red led already. However, I decided it would be easier and smaller to just do a proper two transistor circuit. I'm not sure how much current the RC part draws.

YveltalGriffin

First Wii U Trimmer
Portables
However, I decided it would be easier and smaller to just do a proper two transistor circuit.
Yeah, that's what I was about to suggest. It's often easier to make something specifically for your needs from scratch rather than trying to repurpose something that is highly specialized for a different purpose.