Worklog Nolds Unnamed Wii Pocket

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
So I'm working on a WiiP again. This project is inspired by builds like Shanks PiiWii Pocket or more recent: https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/niintendo-pocket.3808/

So this are the planed specs:
- Near OMEGA Trimmed Wii [NAND & AVE Relocation]
- 3.5" LCD using VGA
- 1s2p 18650 via RVL PMS
- Audio via UAMP [No headphone jack yet]
- KISS 3D Printed Case [Keep It Small Stupid]
- GC Style Custom Printed ABXY
- DS Sliders [because of the lower profile] & GC+ 2.0
- Builtin MicroSD Adapter
- Single Dual-Tact Shoulder buttons [those you can get from the store]
- 0% Custom PCBs, 100% Nold Style magnetwire madness

I don't have a name, yet. Project Title: Damn Small Wii Pocket.

Hyped by all the pocket Gmans and Gingerboiz i was thinking about making a 3.5" WiiP quite a while now.. So as i was triggered by @thedrew s thread, i finally ordered one of those nice IPS panels. After a few days of thinking, cloning and designing, things started to take shape.

This is the first built, where i used a lot of parts in Fusion, like the PMS, Batteries, 35mm cooling fan & so on. This really helped getting everything as small as possible. I know that the trim isn't really needed & with some custom PCB magic I could get even smaller, but whatever...

wiip.JPG

2wiip.JPG
I2C Audio

Internals:
DSCF9832.JPG

I really like how the designed turned out so far, can't wait for the final prints. Still need to figure out what's the best way to attach those "handles" as i want to utilize my brand new textured printbed on the back ofc.

Special Thanks to: @GingerOfOz for his somewhat working flex AVE pcbs, @Gman for PMS & UAMP - Great stuff! And ofc @Aurelio for ... well ... everything.

Last edited:
Damn Nold, looks so clean! Is that Ginger's AVE Flex or your own design? You'll probably finish before me tbh...

Senor Avocado

2022 2nd Place Winner
did you have some more pics of the back? The way you implemented the sd card reader is fantastic!

Nold

Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
Today i [hopefully] finalized the case. And damn it feels so good in my hands! The print of the handles is ass, hope the next becomes better... also tested the trim with the PMS & SD adapter. Everything working fine so far B|

DSCF9841.JPG

Soon the sanding can begin

Nold

Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
After two days of work it's nearly finished! The case & buttons have been wet sanded. Wired up the controls, VGA, Bluetooth, PMS, ... Fixed slider height & lots of other "small" problems... ;-)

Also I noticed that the U-AMP is not WiiHud compatible. So i was missing two more buttons in the case for the volume control... damn.. luckily the God of Good Pizza/Aurelio told me how to "modify" the uamp & wire it up, so it could be controlled via WiiHud.. after some trouble getting it to work [because f... me] it worked! Sweet.

After everything was tested & working, i covered the PCB in some of my new 50mm kapton.

Anyways, this are the internals as of now:

DSCF9869.JPG

It's still missing the reset/sync & screen buttons in the front. And some of the buttons & dpad need tuning. Oh, yea and some weird clouds appeared on my LCD.. But besides that, it's working!

DSCF9875.JPG

DSCF9876.JPG

I didn't even have too much trouble getting it together :D ... and it feels real good in my hands & plays pretty nice. happy day :)

Nold

Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
why is the z button on the left?
no space left on the right side.. xD

Wow that's beautiful! You make it look so easy. What are the final measurements?
thanks! it's about 145x75x30mm with batterie handles / 23mm without. it fits in a original NDS pocket :mrgreen:

Benge

Portables
4 : O-Wii (V1,V2,V2.1)/ BS2
Wow very nice work, It's very impressive and look very clean
I really like to see how far we can go in miniaturization, And I think making it smaller is going to be complicated
I would very much like to challenge myself to make a very small version of portable wii like this one, do you have a guide for the OMEGA trim with the relocation of the nand and the AVE ?

A_s6

Portables
i don’t give a hee ho
Wow very nice work, It's very impressive and look very clean
I really like to see how far we can go in miniaturization, And I think making it smaller is going to be complicated
I would very much like to challenge myself to make a very small version of portable wii like this one, do you have a guide for the OMEGA trim with the relocation of the nand and the AVE ?
i’ve seen a piece of advice somewhere on the forums, it was that if you need a guide to perform an omega trim, you’re not ready. afaik doing an omega requires a deep understanding of the wii, and all the information necessary is in the rvk compendium