Linus Tech Tips G-Boy vid

Ekterm

Portables
Wii Laptop, PCii mk A
yall know about this video? @Gman

Saw it and was having flashbacks to the time @jefflongo broke bitbuilt...

Pretty positive review, except for linus not knowing a good dpad from his left earlobe

Last edited:
Lol I just watched this before getting here. I have a 3d printer and can model a little, a spot welder for welding 18650 cells, RC lipo charger, soldering equipment and a microscope for fine soldering.
I'd like to build a portable wii around a larger screen than in the DMG styled 'g boy' with an RGB signal or at least better than composite, could someone point me in the direction of similar projects and guides?

Ekterm

Portables
Wii Laptop, PCii mk A

Dmcke5

2020 1st Place Winner
Portables
Lol I just watched this before getting here. I have a 3d printer and can model a little, a spot welder for welding 18650 cells, RC lipo charger, soldering equipment and a microscope for fine soldering.
I'd like to build a portable wii around a larger screen than in the DMG styled 'g boy' with an RGB signal or at least better than composite, could someone point me in the direction of similar projects and guides?
Try the wii section on the forum, plenty of people doing stuff other than Gboys!

A_s6

Portables
i don’t give a hee ho
why didn’t i buy a gboy kit when they came out in april(or at all for that matter)
cuz i’m too broke that’s why

all jokes aside it’s great that the modding scene is getting more attention, hopefully the community will grow.

Last edited:

A_s6

Portables
i don’t give a hee ho
if you want a larger portable, the g wii is a great start. the files are open source and i’m pretty sure all the pcbs it uses can be found in the bb store.
Great but between the 2 of you can you link to a better screen option say 5 inches plus thats IPS thats been used in a project.
AFAIK IPS displays typically aren’t used in wii portables. VGA is usually the way to go as it outputs crisp 480p video. the 5” 4:3 screen in the bitbuilt store is probably what most people use. if you want a larger screen, the portablizing bom has a 6.2” screen and two 7” screens, all three of which are 480p and 16:9

if you want a larger portable, the g wii is a great start. the files are open source and i’m pretty sure all the pcbs it uses can be found in the bb store.

AFAIK IPS displays typically aren’t used in wii portables. VGA is usually the way to go as it outputs crisp 480p video. the 5” 4:3 screen in the bitbuilt store is probably what most people use. if you want a larger screen, the portablizing bom has a 6.2” screen and two 7” screens, all three of which are 480p and 16:9
TFTs make my eyes hurt. All phones have used them for years(except premium oled models) they have deeper colours and suit a handheld much better. I'm not looking for a large screen just 5 inches suits my eyes much better than say a 3.5" but a 5.5" IPS would be ideal.

A_s6

Portables
i don’t give a hee ho
TFTs make my eyes hurt. All phones have used them for years(except premium oled models) they have deeper colours and suit a handheld much better. I'm not looking for a large screen just 5 inches suits my eyes much better than say a 3.5" but a 5.5" IPS would be ideal.
i mean... i guess you’re out of luck. i haven’t seen anyone use an ips screen, but i may be wrong. browsing through work logs may just help you find what you’re looking for.