Kingston MicroSD USB Adapter

1stage

Portables
G-Boy
Hey, I'm using the Kingston MicroSD USB Adapter that was shipped with the G-Boy kit, along with a Samsung Evo 32Gb formatted as recommended (FAT32 + 32k blocks), but I get errors on my Windows computer when inserting the adapter with the SD in it, AND the Wii won't recognize it in the USB port when I try to BBLoad it or even just read from it in HB channel.

If I put it in a generic USB adapter (came with my 3D printer), it works fine (on the Wii and my Windows machine), but since space is an issue inside the G-Boy, I will eventually need the small Kingston.

Does it sound like my Kingston adapter is bad? How do I get a replacement?

- Sean

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Can you share a picture of the readings on the back of the kingston? I just want to be sure of something.

CrashBash

No emulation, real hardware
Staff member
Yeah that's what Gman was looking for. A couple of members a while back noticed strange behavior with a certain revision of the adapter. Yours, however, is not that revision. I believe the store never had any of them, but it's a good thing to just double check for sanity's sake.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Also what was your order number? I want to check when it was shipped out

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Ok so yours was a recent order. The drives we send out arent suppose to look quite like that. To be clear, this is the drive you received from us, not one purchased elsewhere? If so we'll happily send you a replacement.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
That is not the same model one that we send out (very minor difference). Odd. Anyway we'll have another shipped to you asap. Select models of the kingston drive are known not to work with certain capacities and some I've used were straight up DOA (like yours), not sure how it got mixed up into your kit. Apologies!

1stage

Portables
G-Boy
So can someone pin a posting with a spreadsheet of known-good adapters and capacities? Something like this:

Samsung Evo XDHC 32Gb (Fat32 @ 32k blocks)​
Samsung EVO XDHC 64Gb (Fat32 @ 32k blocks)​
Samsung EVO XDHC 128Gb (Fat32 @ 32k blocks)​
SanDisk (ANY SIZE)​
Kingston MicroSD USB - Rev XXXX
RECOMMENDED​
OK​
OK​
Not Recommended​
Kingston MicroSD USB - Rev YYYY
BUGGY​
OK​
BUGGY​
Not Recommended​
XYZ MicroSD USB
BUGGY​
BUGGY​
BUGGY​
Not Recommended​

I was having issues with BB loader recognizing the same microSD on my recently purchased Gboy. I ended up taking a dremmel to a known working samsung fit plus USB drive and it takes up even less space than the kingston adapter now and works perfectly

I tested with a different adapter (that is definitely too big) and the Samsung evo cards work, but with the Kingston I get error messages and hang ups.
B907044E-787E-41B3-B910-9C1B46CCF8DD.jpeg