Question How would I go about connecting buttons and slider pads to a Raspberry Pi for a portable?

I've seen a few threads about the slider, but none seem to exactly match my question, so here goes. I'm trying to surprise my brother with a gift on his birthday, and decided a MintyPi would be a fun project for us to do together and something to help him dip his toes into more advanced electronics and console modding (and neither of us are ready for a full console mod). However, the lack of analog input on the MintyPi frustrates me, and I figured I'd order a kit, toss the button PCB, and make a custom one to accommodate two 3DS slider pads. This brings me to my question - I know how to make the contacts for the buttons, but how do I connect them and the sliders to the Raspberry Pi so that it's recognized as button/analog input?

EDIT: It seems I posted in the wrong category - but I can't delete my own post. Oh well.

Last edited:

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
You'll probably want to just pull apart a USB controller of some kind, as the raspberry pi doesn't have any analog inputs on it's GPIO headers.

Dmcke5

2020 1st Place Winner
Portables
I used an Arduino Pro Micro for input on my pi project. The code is pretty basic, but I'd be happy to share mine if that's something you'd struggle with. As for the Pi Zero, with the correct emulator I didn't see any issues with GBA. The stock one was definitely slow but once I switched to one of the other "less accurate" emulators it was fine. Don't expect much more than GBA out of it though, it really isn't quick enough for anything more demanding than that.

Thanks for the input! I own a GBA with a library anyway and don't expect to play any of those games on the MintyPi. The use of a full microcontroller for the input seems off to me, but it's something I'll try if I get around to doing this.

Gabobo

I did way more research into pi projects since posting and experimented with the pi zero a bit more. Here's what I found out:

- GBA is still dodgy with it's default emulators but the standalone gpsp fixes all of that.
- If gpsp doesn't work and you need a save file that's past the intro, to keep the game going with gpsp, use the mGBA emulator until you get to save. This is for games like Golden Sun Lost Age and Kingdom Hearts.
-Playstation is at FULL speed surprisingly with the standalone PCSX-rearmed emulator. Currently playing Megaman X4 and it's FAST.
-SNES is a hit and miss. Mario RPG is slow. Yoshi Island is slow here and there. Star Fox is unplayable. Playstation at full speed but SNES is a hit and miss. I have no real words for that.
-Look up "Tinkerboy." If you have a 3D printer, or an old DMG model Gameboy shell, this might be what you're looking for. Allows for PSP thumbstick, speaker wheel, Bigg Battery Pack with indicator, and L2/R2 buttons. You can also choose to use a Pi 3 instead if that's how you want to roll with your bro. Best part; there are labels and guides so you don't have to go in blind. https://www.tinkerboy.xyz/product/tinkerboy-controller-v3-0-game-boy-zero-aio-pcb-controller/. Total price for the entire project is only a "little" bit more than the Mintypi, give or take.
- If you still need to decide, decide soon. Flip a coin. I think Mintypi lite parts are about to go up on sale June 19.
-Personal thought: I was wrong. The maker leaves enough GPIO pins for other people to add their own custom designs/components into the MintyPi. But if you still want to throw away the controller board, pass it to me instead. That thing's worth like $55. I'd love to make another one.

I've decided to mod his SP with a headphone jack and shell instead, but this looks like a cool thing to do for Christmas. I even get time to decide what I want! I've looked at Game Boy Zero/3 in the past, but it looks like it might just be time to get one.

Darton

You are asking about making controls for your portable right? I have seen someone do it by using the GPIO pins on the raspberry pi itself. I have never tried it myself since Im waiting for some parts to arrive before I start my portable but I feel like it is possible...

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
You are asking about making controls for your portable right? I have seen someone do it by using the GPIO pins on the raspberry pi itself. I have never tried it myself since Im waiting for some parts to arrive before I start my portable but I feel like it is possible...
Yeah it's possible, but you would need some sort of analog to digital conversation since the RPi doesn't support analog input gpio. Which is why others are suggesting it's easier to use something like a micro controller which will support analog inputs.