Question How could I make a portable Wii for under $80?

I am wanting to make a portable Wii but I don't know how I could make it for a cheap price. I am willing to go over the price but I would prefer it to be under $80. I have all the tools and a lot of information but I don't know what to buy and which Wii version I should use. I would like to use an older Wii that supports gamecube games and controllers. Here is the information I have gathered:

1596669344353.png

Please help me.

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Building a Wii portable for under $80 would be nearly impossible, Just a Wii, batteries and a crappy screen would be bordering on $60.

Power management, buttons, controllers, case, speakers and every other tiny thing you'll need will put you well over your $80 budget.

Ok, I could spend more than $80.

How much do you think it would cost?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok.

I'm fine with that. What are the parts you would suggest me to get.

I can 3D print so I don't need to buy a 3D printer or get the case 3D printed at a special place. I'm pretty good at designing so that wouldn't be a problem.

[MOD - merged triple post]

Last edited by a moderator:

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Stop double/triple posting. Use the edit function.

You'll need to read around build threads for parts you'll need.
Nobody is going to be able to tell you the parts you'll need specifically because you've yet to design your case.
You should be designing your case around the parts you will be using.

You're having a laugh if you think it's even possible to make a Wii Portable for under $80

The KillMii which is literally a Wii in an altoids tin cost well over double that. As Wesk mentioned earlier you need so many little components and pieces that are essential to the build itself, and they begin to add up exceptionally fast.

It's also always better to build a higher quality device that you won't need to fiddle with later on as this will actually make it cheaper in the long run to use, and you won't have to be constantly worrying about everything suddenly dying on you because you budgeted too hard

Do the research, talk to those who have experience and properly plan something like this out. It takes many hours of commitment and hundreds of dollars to properly produce.

Trust me, this is the one thing you wouldn't want to be a hot piece of Garbage

Lettuce

rom7x

I'm new in this field. Could you link some guides on where to solder etc? Thank

Sounds like you might be more interested in a portable emulation machine considering your budget. We dont build these out of economics, it's really down to our blinded passion for the medium.

CrashBash

No emulation, real hardware
Staff member
The original post is from a year ago and the poster hasn't been online on the forums since August.

Sounds like you might be more interested in a portable emulation machine considering your budget. We dont build these out of economics, it's really down to our blinded passion for the medium.