Worklog Aurelio's unnamed Wii Portable

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I started working on this a while ago, now I have all the parts and I tested almost everything so I can start this worklog :D
This Wii will have all the features except the WiFi (patched out).
Yesterday I successfully cut my Wii motherboard and it still works.

It will have a Gamecube buttons layout (handled by my custom controller) with 3DS analog sliders.
The case will be 3D printed.

bentomo

sands mobos in a single swipe
That means custom controller won't be released until after the contest!!

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
That means custom controller won't be released until after the contest!!
Nah I don't care about releasing it before the contest. If this was the case I wouldn't have made public the WiFi parches either.
I'm sending few sample boards in the next few days, but yeah it will probably be released after the contest but just for a matter of time

it's good and all, but I hope you can smooth it out and make a mold for it, because that is some glorious plastic.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
it's good and all, but I hope you can smooth it out and make a mold for it, because that is some glorious plastic.
Acetone helps with smoothing immensely, though make sure to test it on a small piece of scrap plastic before doing it on your whole part, as it can sometimes bleach the part depending on the plastic and colorant. It'll also make it much more ruggid, such as a keychain I printed for my brother that's still holding up after over a year of use (plus it's super smooth).

If you're planning on doing a clamshell design, I would probably stress test the walls especially the back one. You may need to make them stronger or print them thicker because they will have a lot of force applied from opening and closing.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Thanks for the tip, but don't worry about it, they are strong enough :)

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I've had this part done few days ago, but I forgot to post it.

The buttons side of the case is done, I still need to wire everything, but that should be easy :)

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Lookin' good :) Aren't 3D printed screw posts just the best? It makes it too easy

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Just wondering, what printer do you have? Also how long did that piece take to print? For my case, the front took about 4 hours and the back about 6 hours. Printed at 45% infill is plenty strong.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I have a Geeetech Prusa i3 Pro C, nothing fancy. I printed all the parts with 0.2mm layer height and 50% rectilinear infill. The bottom part took a bit more than 11 hours, the side with the buttons took 7 hours ish. It's quite big :D