Worklog Another Copy Cat "Louii" Build

Hi Bitbuilt, I've begun to endeavour in a Wii Portable build, in which I'm mimicking GingerOfMods "Louii" as I thought it was one of the cleanest Wii Portables I've seen thus far.

. I've just been mostly planning for a couple weeks now, trying to get everything sorted out with what I need on this project. I'm aware that Ginger posted the parts list for the build, but I'm currently trying to search for the best, cheap Hot air gun station and Soldering station there is on the market (Suggestions would be greatly appreciated). As it is, I'm not comfortable spending lots of money on expensive, brand-name products as I don't know if this is a hobby I will choose to pursue after my first build, I just need something that will pull me through the first one and if I do enjoy it, I will invest in better gear.

I checked a Wii I owned previously, and it is a 4-layer board so I won't be needing to purchase another one. I've also purchased a Samsung 128gb MicroSD card and a Kingston USB MicroSD card reader for the meantime, so I can get PortablizeMii and a bunch of games on my Wii set up while I'm making the final preparations for this.

I plan to give updates on my work as I continue with this, including photos, and also questions I may have if I get stuck along the way. One thing, the squishy tact buttons don't seem to ship to Canada (where I'm from). I checked amazon.ca and they don't seem to have the same ones. It's not a huge problem, as I have an Aunt who lives down in the States who could ship it to me, but I'd feel more comfortable if there was another option for me to have them shipped here. If anyone knows how I can get these, I would really appreciate if someone could let me know.

Other than that, I will be replacing the GC+ pcb with the GC+ 2.0. I am trying to be really, really, specific about this build because as a noob there may be one tiny error in what I've done and I won't know how to fix it, but I figured it would be fine if I used the 2.0. Plus, I can't find the original on the BitBuilt store anymore, and a quick look at Aurelio's $10 patreon seemed to indicate he might be giving complimentary ones to $10 subscribers (which would work out nicely, since I'd planned to subscribe to access the mod he did to make games that require some motion functionality not need it, so I can play the Mario Galaxy games with the built-in controller).

The last thing, is I've heard the term "Custom regulators" thrown around a lot. At it's core it seems to be for converting DC power to AC power, though I'm sure it gets more complicated than that. This might be a dumb question, but does Gman's RVL Power Management System (in the build list) negate the need for Custom Regulators? Again, sorry if that's a dumb question.

Anyways, this seems like a really welcoming community, and I'm really excited for this project! Stay tuned! :)

Welcome, I hope to see you stick around after this project, custom regulators are used to adjust the input power to separately power the wii
You need 4 for the standard build 5 if you plan to remove the ldo. You have multiple choices for this, the classic choice is the PTH08080W regulator, they're pretty straightforward in wiring, you can also find sellers that sell 2 for 15 dollars or so, other choices are like gmans PMS or the stores RVL. However, the pms that gman made is a lot more convenient because it has the extra 5th regulator line if needed and can allow battery management so you can wire your batteries to it directly and you can use features like the rgb battery indicator.

Hi, so just an update. I ordered most of the stuff I need for the portable. I remembered I had a couple of spare joycons that stopped working due to drift, so that'll save me the need to buy buttons and save money. I was wondering, though, the shoulder buttons on the Louii don't appear to be the switch ones, are they 3D printed? (I'm having a case comissioned for me as I don't own a 3D printer). I may have to re-upload this worklog if I have questions but no one is paying attention to it. Anyway, just a quick update, most of the build process I imagine will start in a month or so!

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
The shoulder buttons are indeed 3d printed. Also, joycons are not broken once they start drifting. Simply replace the analog stick and they are good as new. Even cleaning the analog stick will probably alleviate drifting for a good while. Better to just buy the buttons on eBay.

The shoulder buttons are indeed 3d printed. Also, joycons are not broken once they start drifting. Simply replace the analog stick and they are good as new. Even cleaning the analog stick will probably alleviate drifting for a good while. Better to just buy the buttons on eBay.
Eb Games (GameStop for Americans) offered me new joycons completely when this would happen for free (since I had a warranty), so I find it easier to do that.

2nd update: Does anyone know a good replacement Fan for the one used in the Louii? (can be found in his BOM). The Yahoo Store link for the fan has no option to both ship or bill to Canada (where I live) and most other retailers don't seem to have this fan or it's out of stock. Any help on this front is greatly appreciated.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Have you checked out the cooling kit in the BitBuilt store? That kit has all the same parts as what the Louii uses.

If you need just the fan, then there are some on eBay like this that have popped up recently. Unsure whether they ship to Canada though.

mokus

Regarding joycon drift - I don’t know if it’s open now due to the virus and whatnot, but I made a warranty claim on mine a while back and it was super simple. I filled out an online form and they gave me a fedex label to print. I slapped that on a box, dropped it off at a local shipping store, and a few days later I had a working joy-con back in the mail. They never even asked for purchase date, money, or anything.

About the drifting, I cleaned them with a Q tip and isopropyl alcohol, the drifting was gone. I've seen this in that video, you should give it a go.

Hey all, I know it's been a while since I've updated this thread, but It's been a long, quiet process waiting for everything to be shipped and delivered. First off, I was wondering if anyone knew any really good soldering and heat gun SMD workstations that are cheap. I would normally choose expensive, brand-name, reliable equipment; however I don't feel comfortable making such an investment as this is my first build and I don't know if this is a hobby I will want to pursue. I just need something that will pull me through my first build, and then if I stick with it, I'll look into better stuff. Second, I was hoping I could have a case exactly like the Louii case comissioned (looking for a price around 30 USD). It just needs to be sanded, no paintjob. The files for the case can be found on the original Louii worklog. I can't print my own case because I don't own a 3d printer and can't go to my local library due to the ongoing pandemic. Anyways, this was a really long and scrambled message, but any bit of advice or info helps! Stay safe guys

Portables
You don't really need hot air for your first build, it's nice to have but a not a necessity, for the iron that is cheap and recommendable I would go for the
As the for the case, it might be helpful to put your location in the post, since shipping locally is cheaping than worldwide

Noah

retired
Portables
Hey all, I know it's been a while since I've updated this thread, but It's been a long, quiet process waiting for everything to be shipped and delivered. First off, I was wondering if anyone knew any really good soldering and heat gun SMD workstations that are cheap. I would normally choose expensive, brand-name, reliable equipment; however I don't feel comfortable making such an investment as this is my first build and I don't know if this is a hobby I will want to pursue. I just need something that will pull me through my first build, and then if I stick with it, I'll look into better stuff. Second, I was hoping I could have a case exactly like the Louii case comissioned (looking for a price around 30 USD). It just needs to be sanded, no paintjob. The files for the case can be found on the original Louii worklog. I can't print my own case because I don't own a 3d printer and can't go to my local library due to the ongoing pandemic. Anyways, this was a really long and scrambled message, but any bit of advice or info helps! Stay safe guys
If you buy a cheap iron for this project you will not have a good time. There are plenty of "alright" China soldering stations you can get on amazon, but most of them are not as good as Weller/Hakko irons. Soldering has applications far beyond portablizing, even just repairing your own electronics that break is a good reason to get a reliable soldering station. I’d go with at least the one wudopecker recommended.

As for the case, good luck getting one sanded for $30. I print cases and I charge $35 + shipping and that's only with support/brim removed, nothing else done. Wet sanding a case takes ~5+ hours, so nobody is going to make less than minimum wage sanding a case for you. If I were to sell a sanded case ready to go I'd probably charge at least $80-$100, just so you know what you're getting yourself into. You'd be far better off sanding it yourself.

I've said this many times before and I'll stress it here again: portablizing is NOT a cheap hobby!!! You need to go into your first build expecting to burn cash. I understand that many people on this forum are still in middle/high school so it might be difficult to get a job to fund a project like this. Trust me, 10 years ago I was in the same position as you! However, trying to build a portable on some ultra small and tight budget is not a good idea either because it will be far more difficult than it needs to be.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I decided to buy a Weller SMD Solder workstation, as I didn't mind spending that certain amount now that I know it's not neccesary to have a heat gun for the first build. The guy I was originally in touch with said he would print and sand a case for me for 30 dollars, which is why I proposed that amount earlier. However, he hasn't responded to any of my emails in the past month and a half, which seems pretty shady. Anyway, I'd be happy to order a comission for a 30 dollar case unsanded for whoever wants to do business. I figured it's probably better for me to learn to wet sand it now than later! Especially given the fact that I'm looking into getting a 3d printer for the holidays. Stay safe guys!

Hello again, just a quick question about the printing of the 3D case. I actually have a friend from school who I didn't know had a 3D printer and said he would print the case for me. Only issue is, his printer isn't big enough for some of the parts, the only way he could print them is if he cut the big pieces in half. Is this a feasible option? How difficult would it be for me to put the pieces back together? Keep in mind, this only applies to big pieces, the little tiny pieces he can do easily. Stay safe everyone!

yes cutting them in half does work, i have seen some one on here that printed his out in half as well. you just have to bond the halves together with glue or even friction weld them together. then use bondo or some type of filler, sand then paint and you wont even be able to tell that it wasn't in 2 pieces.

Portables
Hello again, just a quick question about the printing of the 3D case. I actually have a friend from school who I didn't know had a 3D printer and said he would print the case for me. Only issue is, his printer isn't big enough for some of the parts, the only way he could print them is if he cut the big pieces in half. Is this a feasible option? How difficult would it be for me to put the pieces back together? Keep in mind, this only applies to big pieces, the little tiny pieces he can do easily. Stay safe everyone!
Its not the best solution tbh. When you do that its pretty fragile and the case can snap

Thanks for the replies, Definitely a difficult take considering one person doesn't recommend it, and the other says it should be fine. My friend said he didn't want to charge me, so if it didn't end up working I wouldn't be at a loss.

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
Just cutting the case in half would look terrible and would weaken the overall design. You could probably print up some detail pieces for structure and to hide the cut seams bt it's still not an ideal solution.

I have a 3d printed Louii case that I'm probably never going to use. If you want I can probably work out a deal with you for it and send it over. (I also have like most the other parts for a Louii too, so if you don't have the parts for the internals you can hit me up for those as well)

Hey guys it's been a while. I might have to make a new worklog due to my inactivity, but i'll send this out first anyway. I'm still doing this, and I hope to be able to get started within the next few weeks, but it's been a couple of months so I'm currently just trying to get myself back up to speed. I have all the parts I need, now I'm just in need of tools. I know the answers are out there if I look, but I was hoping somebody could tell me the essential tools i'll need for the building process as it'll just be easier for me. I have a Hakko-fx88d and my friend said he'd lend me his digital multimeter. I know I also need an old toothbrush, diamond cutting disc (I already have a dremmel), solder wick, rosin core solder spool, a flux pen, magnet wire (though I totally forget the kinds of wires and things of that nature) and high-grit sandpaper (forget what specifically). Anyways, you guys have already been enough help as it is, so don't feel obligated to help me. But, I really want to get started soon, so having somebody who has a wealth of info on this matter tell me the info as opposed to me finding it again would really help. Have a good rest of your night guys, I'll keep anyone interested posted as this starts to move forward again.