Worklog A Switch Lite Sized Raspberry Pi Portable

Dmcke5

2020 1st Place Winner
Portables
One step closer. Still need to replace the psp joystick with a genuine one and wire it up, but it's all together and working pretty well so far! Got the 3d printed back case on for now as it allows a little bit of flex, but I'll sort out some extra clearance on the aluminium version in the next few days. Still want to make new buttons out of aluminium, but the plastic ones will do for a test. Seems to run some N64 and PlayStation 1. Haven't loaded too much up onto it to test but hopefully I'll have a bit of time tonight.
IMG_20200317_080053.jpg

Dmcke5

2020 1st Place Winner
Portables
Made some aluminium buttons today! Still need to do the D-pad, start, select and the shoulder buttons. But once they are done I'm thinking I'll get them anodised black and then try and fill the engraving in with some white paint.
IMG_20200321_163610_1.jpg

Dmcke5

2020 1st Place Winner
Portables
Buttons all finished and polished up! I think this is pretty much where I'll leave this one. I may build a storage box for it eventually, but for now I'm busy working on the next project! Anyway, here's a couple of pictures of the finished buttons!
IMG_20200327_201419.jpg
IMG_20200327_201517.jpg
IMG_20200327_201530.jpg
IMG_20200327_201535.jpg

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Buttons all finished and polished up! I think this is pretty much where I'll leave this one. I may build a storage box for it eventually, but for now I'm busy working on the next project! Anyway, here's a couple of pictures of the finished buttons!
View attachment 11041 View attachment 11042 View attachment 11043 View attachment 11044
That's sick dude, but why'd you go through all that hassle to hand wire HDMI when you could have used two 19 pin FPC connectors and a folded cable? Well done for powering through it tho.

Dmcke5

2020 1st Place Winner
Portables
That's sick dude, but why'd you go through all that hassle to hand wire HDMI when you could have used two 19 pin FPC connectors and a folded cable? Well done for powering through it tho.
The only place I could get the connectors on short notice was going to cost me a fair bit (had to order at least 10 of them from memory) and I didn't really have the room for the connectors. I already had the copper wire so decided I'd give it a go that way first. If I was designing it from scratch with this setup I would definitely use the connectors as the wiring was a total pain!

hi im a noob.. first time here .. been thinking about a project like this. but i was stuck when it comes to the battery the interface and the joypad buttons. I actually was gonna use a Raspberry pi 4 with all the huge usb ports and headers removed making it super slim. I was wondering if anyone wanna collaborate?

Dmcke5

2020 1st Place Winner
Portables
I was going to make a case for this to keep it safe from the kids, but I found these EVA foam switch lite cases at the local shops and it fits great! This will do nicely and saved me hours worth of cad/CNC work haha.
IMG_20200701_170603.jpg

hi im a noob.. first time here .. been thinking about a project like this. but i was stuck when it comes to the battery the interface and the joypad buttons. I actually was gonna use a Raspberry pi 4 with all the huge usb ports and headers removed making it super slim. I was wondering if anyone wanna collaborate?
I must have missed this comment, sorry!
Sounds like you've still got a bit to do to figure out what you want, but it's definitely possible with a pi 4. Taking the ports off is a nightmare but worth the hassle if you're aiming for something slim. Buttons can be done via GPIO on the pi unless you want a joystick in which case I'd recommend using an Arduino as a controller interface. Battery charging is easy, loads of pre-made boards out there that handle charge and 5v supply at the same time. Mine is out of a $5 USB power bank and aside from only giving me a minute or so of warning before running out of juice, it seems to work well!