Worklog A "super slim" PlayStation 3 handheld

So I saw a listing for a used PlayStation 3 Super Slim with a broken disc drive, so I bought it and started to think about making it portable. Because of the high power consumption I will skip the battery entirely, so the console must run off a 12 volt external power brick. Other than that, the handheld is supposed to be completely standalone, so it will include a DualShock 3 controller, a 7" 1080p Screen and stereo speakers (up to 2" drivers can fit). I threw together a basic model in Fusion 360 to give you some first impressions.

PS3 Portable v1.png

The handeheld will basically be as big as the mainboard ot the PS3 Super Slim itself, which will make it pretty big, especially the chin of the device. The biggest challenge will be the cooling of the hardware, considering the PS3 has a TDP of around 100 watts. I think a smart design will make it possible to create effective aircooling to keep temperatures under control.

The first thing I have to check is, whether or not the PlayStation 3 will run without the disc drive attached. If it does require the disc drive to be connected to the mainboard, I guess the handheld design will become too big and heavy.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
In addition to what you mentioned, you'll want to make sure you can actually get a power adapter that can put out enough power, 100w at 12v is nearly 10 amps, which is a lot to expect out of a brick. You'll also want to make sure you have a beefy connector to take the power in, you don't want that melting :P

In addition to what you mentioned, you'll want to make sure you can actually get a power adapter that can put out enough power, 100w at 12v is nearly 10 amps, which is a lot to expect out of a brick. You'll also want to make sure you have a beefy connector to take the power in, you don't want that melting :P
I could actually use the internal power supply as an external one by making a small enclosure for it. As for the connector a simple DC jack sure won't cut it. I actually want to use a DIN like connector that can be screwed in, so there is no danger of unplugging the console accidentally and turning it off.

You could use a Tamiya connector, those have clips on them, and you should be able to get one that has a high enough current rating.
May sound weird, but I really don't like the look of those Tamiya connectors^^ I searched for alternatives, and XLR or Speakon ports might be a prettier alternative. XLR can work with up to 15A, Speakon even up to 30A of current. I'll receive the PS3 in a few days, so I can check it out.

Ceirt

May sound weird, but I really don't like the look of those Tamiya connectors^^ I searched for alternatives, and XLR or Speakon ports might be a prettier alternative. XLR can work with up to 15A, Speakon even up to 30A of current. I'll receive the PS3 in a few days, so I can check it out.
i don't know if my opinion can help you but, have you tried a gx16 plug, they look great.

Oh, the GX20 looks very neat aswell! I guess I'll go with that one, thanks!
I was trying to find the parts for my build, but the only 7 inch screens I found only have a maximum resolution of 1024x600. Do you guys know where I can find a seven or eight inch screen with a real 720p or 1080p resolution? I already checked eBay and AliExpress, but I coulnd't find anything suitable.

Ceirt

Oh, the GX20 looks very neat aswell! I guess I'll go with that one, thanks!
I was trying to find the parts for my build, but the only 7 inch screens I found only have a maximum resolution of 1024x600. Do you guys know where I can find a seven or eight inch screen with a real 720p or 1080p resolution? I already checked eBay and AliExpress, but I coulnd't find anything suitable.
110 bucks :/
https://www.seeedstudio.com/7-Inch-HDMI-1280x800-IPS-Display-p-2639.html

same screen but 60 or so usd

https://aliexpress.com/item/32338411917.html

Last edited:
That's quite a price! I guess that's a bit too expensive, escpecially considering that the panel itself isn't even great. I might try the 1024x600 displays, maybe the quality won't be too bad, even if it's not the native eresolution :3

So the PlayStaion 3 arrived yesterday, and I made some advances.

First I softmodded the PlayStation using PS3 HEN, that allows me to install my existing games onto the internal hard drive (which I replaced with a 500GB SSD), so I don't need to use the blu ray drive. After that I disassembled the console no its bare mainboard.
The internals are actually really easy to work with, because almost everything is build into the mainboard itself. The internal PSU delivers 12 Volts to the mainboard as expected, but it also provides a 5 Volts at 1 Amp to the mainboard for standby. Acording to some people on the internet it is possible to even power the console with an ATX PC PSU, so using a external 12 Volt power brick with a 12 Volt to 5 Volt buck converter shouldn't be a problem.
I also checked on the cooling aspect of the console. According to TechPowerUp, the GPU of my PlayStation 3 Super Slim is based on the 28nm process and only has a TDP of 21 watts, making it pretty easy to cool. But I coulnd't find any information regarding the Cell CPU 45nm TDP. I guess it will be somewhere around 40-50 watts. As for the cooling itself I will search for fitting laptop cooler assemblies in combination with a custom made aluminium block for the CPU and GPU.
I also disassembled a PlayStation 3 controller. It consists of a single PCB, the buttons are attached with a single flexible sheet, that has the contact points for the individual buttons. I checked the ressistances with my multimeter. The ressistance between the ground and signal pin of a button is around 4k ohm when not pressed and 2k ohm when pressed. Strangely enough even the L2 and R2 buttons are wired up like that, I wonder how the analog input works anyway?

The next steps will be constructing the CPU/GPU cooler. My goal is to make it as thin and lite weight as possible, while not sacrificing the cooling. Luckily the PS3 has internal temperature sensors, so I can check if the cooling will be enough.

Update: According to psdevwiki.com actually all buttons of my Sixaxis Controller are analog buttons, except select, start, PS, L3 and R3! That's quite unique, isn't it? I have to check how I can wire these buttons up, so the PlayStation will accept the inputs.

Last edited:
I just had to add two 10k ohm ressistors from the common grounds to the standby voltage, and know all the buttons work when the pins are shorted to ground! Know I have to check which buttons I can use later, do you guys have any recommendations for some nice switches for all the buttons of the PS3 controller?

IMG_20200507_100254.jpg

Know I will focus on the cooling of the CPU & GPU.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
The "analog" inputs for the buttons works on the fact that the resistance gets lower as you push harder, but it's kinda finicky at best... Depending on if you want a clicky or squishy feel, you can get both on ebay. I know for the squishy feel the orange tacts are best, but I'm not sure if there are any sellers out there anymore

Ceirt

Crazy how cheap they are :D

Is there a way to use the original Dualshock 3 buttons? I was thinking of small PCBs with copper strips, so I can use the original membranes.

Ceirt

well... its cheaper to use one of these usb controllers aliexpress.com/item/32825026037.html

Dmcke5

2020 1st Place Winner
Portables
Quick note on the power connector, you could make use of an XT60 style connector. These are commonplace in remote control hobbies and are able to handle up to 60a yet they aren't overly big. There is even now a panel mount version of the xt60 connector which would be perfect for fitting into a console that required high power input. Here's a link for some: https://au.banggood.com/AMASS-XT60E-M-Mountable-XT60-Male-Plug-for-RC-Drone-FPV-Racing-Airplane-Battery-Cable-p-1238483.html?gpla=1&gmcCountry=AU&currency=AUD&createTmp=1&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_bgcs&utm_content=frank&utm_campaign=ssc-aug-all-1129&ad_id=400330096020&cur_warehouse=CN

There's a 30a version which is half the size too but they are much less common and I've never seen one that was designed to be panel mounted so I'd just stick with the 60's personally.