Recent content by ttsgeb

1. ttsgeb

Worklog DIY Concept UFO

I see 4 SBCs in your spreadsheet with the same Z8350 processor and 4gb of ram. I'm thinking the Intel ARK page was made before the appropriate chips were created.
  2. ttsgeb

Worklog DIY Concept UFO

That's a cool trinket, but man, you'd be looking at probably 5 times the cost for electronics if you went with that. I looked a bit at the latte panda, and it seems to have the same processor as the tablet with twice the RAM, so a ram upgrade might actually be possible. I'm gonna sleep on the...
  3. ttsgeb

Worklog DIY Concept UFO

Good to know my google-fu is on point, that's what I was thinking it was. Looks like a pretty solid machine at a rather decent pricepoint. If I get one, I'm definitely looking into a RAM upgrade, though, but that's probably going to require custom firmware, which is way beyond me. EDIT: The...
  4. ttsgeb

Worklog DIY Concept UFO

What tablet are you using? Maybe I could pick one up with the excuse of trying to find a way to charge the battery while registering the charge in Windows and still using USB? It's probably out of my price range, in which case high res pictures of the circuit board could potentially do, but still.
  5. ttsgeb

Worklog XboxPSU

I found the problem: I built the footprint wrong. Good thing I needed a new board revision anyway, and that boards are cheap.
  6. ttsgeb

Worklog Geb's Xbox Slim Laptop

It's fixed now. No clue how I managed that one.
  7. ttsgeb

Worklog Geb's Xbox Slim Laptop

Cable management isn't final by any means, but my 3d printer came in the other day, so I've been able to move forward with this project a bit more. It's looking like xboxDVI isn't going to be ready in time for the contest, so I'm going to go ahead and install the VGA bios on this board and try...
  8. ttsgeb

Worklog XboxDVI

Been trying to figure out why I couldn't program the Max V, the bent pins weren't helping, so I finally got around to fixing the chip, still didn't work... Caught the idea that maybe there's more to the JTAG interface than just putting pins there, and sure enough I need to put in a 10k pull up...
  9. ttsgeb

Worklog XboxPSU

Boards came in today Assembled and tested, the 3v3 line works as expected, but the 5v line doesn't work at all. I'm assuming it's due to a poorly aligned chip that I didn't notice until after I plugged it in. I re-aligned the chip and the problem got worse. I'm pretty sure that chip is fried...
  10. ttsgeb

Worklog DIY Concept UFO

Hey now, this is supposed to be a contest, not an absolute trampling of the other participants. I'm gonna need you to tone it down a bit and get back down on our level. :P
  11. ttsgeb

Worklog XboxPSU

Well, I just ordered everything I need for the first build. $76. I really hope this works. Future boards will be under $30/each if this design works out, but that's with me assembling them, so there's quite a bit of time involved there.
  12. ttsgeb

Worklog XboxPSU

I've gotten the new schematic thrown together, next up is assigning footprints to everything and laying out the board. I'm definitely considering a PCB assembly service for this one, that's something like 35 components, most of them 0603, and I really don't want to have to put it together...
  13. ttsgeb

Worklog XboxPSU

I slept on it, and I'm really not happy with the plan to use multiple switching regs in parallel to get the amount of current I need on the 5v line. So... I'm starting over with a controller and a pair of MOSFETs for the 5v line in hopes that what I build is going to be a bit less likely to...
  14. ttsgeb

Worklog XboxPSU

I found a couple of errors with the design, such as multiple components trying to take up the same space, and fixed them. I also actually bothered to do trace width calculations and discovered that I was way off, so that's been remedied as well. I'm going to sleep on the design revisions, and...
  15. ttsgeb

Worklog XboxPSU

Oh, hey, I worked on this a bit. I ditched the 12v regulator and changed it to 12v in. I also had to source different inductors, which are sadly larger, so the whole board got a couple of mm wider in the process. 26.5mm*57.2mm I think I'm gonna actually order this one, and see if it works.