BitBuilt's 2020 Summer Building Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, as long as the project is still in its early stages and was recently started, it is eligible for entry.
Well I started end of February, already trimmed my N64 motherboard and done some PCB designs, but nothings been tested or assembled and the case design is far from being finished...

Hello people! I've been reading these forums for quite a while now! A year ago I finally registered an account and now I feel somewhat ready to join this competition. This is my first post on these forums and this portable will be my first portable. My only experience is building a Raspberry Pi in a GameBoy shell, an ITX computer in an old NES and an arcade cabinet from scratch with a Raspberry Pi. Don't know if I'm ready for the fine soldering and fine electronics needed for this project, but only one way to find out...

* Edited: I found how to create a thread, I guess I had to post a first post first :D

Last edited:
Can I use something that I did not design as a case? Such as a plastic fererro rocher box (That's just an example) or the case of another portable such as a gameboy?

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Can I use something that I did not design as a case? Such as a plastic fererro rocher box (That's just an example) or the case of another portable such as a gameboy?
Yes, that would be frankencasing (we've got some info in the guide hub about it), which is allowed.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Can I use a replacement housing shell of a portable?
Using a case made by a big company not intended for portablizing consoles is ok. Using a portable case designed by a portablizer for your portable is not allowed for the summer contest.

Using a case made by a big company not intended for portablizing consoles is ok. Using a portable case designed by a portablizer for your portable is not allowed for the summer contest.
Ok, thanks! So I can use replacement shells for gameboys not made by Nintendo?

Last edited:
Oh man just missed it! Just my luck , oh well the modular woowii will have to shine only on youtube :)

cheese

Staff member
Yes, the intention is that the large majority of the portable is your own design, we don't want the contest to be a large collection of G-boy or G-Wii portables, we're looking for everyone's personal touch. Things like buttons or mounting brackets for things like switch sticks or 3ds sliders don't really need to be redesigned since there's not really much you can do to personalize those.

Imicoz

Hey guys, I'm new so sorry if I'm asking stupid questions. I found out about Wii portables only a few weeks ago, and I'm still only in the planning phase for my own portable. So I want to ask more for next year's competition, hope that's okay. In short, I am starting this project of portablization a wii with my dad, as a project to connect more, as well as a challenge we can both enjoy overcoming. As such, the finished product technically would include help from someone else, but seeing as it's just my dad (with no prior experience in any hardware modding), could our entry still be accepted? Thanks

cheese

Staff member
Hey guys, I'm new so sorry if I'm asking stupid questions. I found out about Wii portables only a few weeks ago, and I'm still only in the planning phase for my own portable. So I want to ask more for next year's competition, hope that's okay. In short, I am starting this project of portablization a wii with my dad, as a project to connect more, as well as a challenge we can both enjoy overcoming. As such, the finished product technically would include help from someone else, but seeing as it's just my dad (with no prior experience in any hardware modding), could our entry still be accepted? Thanks
The intent behind the "only done by you" is more along the lines of commissioning others for large parts of the portable or printing off a premade case. We want our entries to be unique, and have the personal touches of the different modders who make them, and not just hundreds of "I MADE A GBOY CAN I HAS FIRST FOR CLEAN PORTAAAAAABEL".

Working with your dad is 100% OK, excited to see an entry from you next contest :)

Imicoz

Thank you for the reply!
Just one more question really quickly; is it allowed to start before april of that year, or is it set in stone that all participants only should have a few months for their contribution?

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
Thank you for the reply!
Just one more question really quickly; is it allowed to start before april of that year, or is it set in stone that all participants only should have a few months for their contribution?
Certainly OK to start in April I would think. The rule doesn’t have any fixed dates, but you can’t re-enter a portable that you didn’t finish for a previous contest. I would say starting within 5 months before the contest would be fine, but perhaps the moderators can elaborate on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.